PDA

View Full Version : Question

Tony DiMarco
10-04-2012, 08:52 PM
First off, it's so good to finally have a place again where we all can talk again!

So this weekend we were planning on taking two 12 passenger vans until our administration said we were not allowed too... After 13 years of doing this I of course was slightly puzzled and upset... Ok I was pissed! I got this trip approved back in June and it mentioned then that we were using vans. I was told that according to the DMV you have to have a class C license to transport 10 or more kids and that even if you only put 10 in the van it is still a 12 passenger van which means its illegal...

Here's my question, has anyone ever heard of this or gone through the same thing? I know about 15 passenger vans but never anything about less than that? We are going now with 8 in each vehicle which of course cost more, led to a huge headache (literally) and made us scramble for a third driver!

Martin Pennell
10-04-2012, 09:58 PM
I know in HB district we are only allowed a driver and 9 passengers even if there is room for more. We rented larger vans this year to go to camp and simply took out the back seat for more cargo room but were still only allowed 10 total people per van.

Jim Roldan
10-05-2012, 04:31 AM
Like Martin, I remember hearing the same thing from the district when I used to coach at Edison.

Albert Caruana
10-05-2012, 05:41 AM
Our school vans had the front passenger seat removed many years ago so the drivers don't need the special license to transport 10 or more students. When I can, I ask for a bus.

Coach Ibarra
10-05-2012, 06:12 AM
It is a pain!! For years we took a charter bus to Mt Sac and it got expensive so we switched to cars and vans... It made me go crazy with all the headaches of clearing drivers and cars/vans so this year back to a bus! It's expensive but man, solves lots of problems... Obviously many of the rules are in place to protect us and the kids but it can be quite a headache, literally!

Keith Chann
10-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Tony, I second the notion of having a place to dialogue again! (I am sure Gardner is sick of me emailing him!)

Back in the late 90's-early 2000's when I was a volunteer, we used to be able to pack the kids into 12 passenger vans (maybe more!) and be able to get the team to many different events, meets, activities, off-campus runs. Later when I became head coach I found out that we could not transport more than 8 kids at a time without a special license. What a bummer. It used to take 2 vans and maybe 1 extra parent/volunteer driver to get the whole boys team to Clovis. Now with only being able to take 7-8 per vehicle we would need many more drivers. I guess the same situation has hit everyone though.

Rich Gonzalez
10-07-2012, 11:59 AM
For those who still use buses on occasion, does anyone have an idea on the typical cost difference between a regular school bus (you know, the traditional yellow "taco shells") and a chartered (air-conditioned, tinted windows, etc.) bus?

Back in the old day, I was surprised to learn the cost difference was minimal (like 15% difference). But I've heard that has changed dramatically.

Thanks!

Tony DiMarco
10-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Rich, my admin quoted $1000.00 per day per school (we would have shared the bus with Whittier since they were in the same predicament). So like $4000.00 for two days and then you would have to supply a room for the driver is my understanding! I think the school bus would be far less but who wants to ride in a school bus for 5 hours!!!

Class "C" here I come :p

ClemDog
10-08-2012, 04:09 PM
I thought everyone had a Class C. According to DMV, you can drive a 15 passenger Van with no more than 15 passengers including the driver with a standard Class C license.

Tony DiMarco
10-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Liam, I just ran over to my wallet!!! Then I almost grabbed my cell phone to yell at my admin! Then I calmed down and went back to the DMV website.

In order to transport more than 10 passenger’s (including driver) you are required to get a CDL (Commercial Driver License)

From DMV web site
A commercial vehicle is a motor vehicle or combination used for hire to transport passengers or property or which:
•Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more
•Is designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 10 passengers, including the driver
•Tows a vehicle or trailer, which has a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more
•Transports hazardous materials, which requires placards
•Tows any combination of two trailers or vehicle and trailer

So I guess as long as you drive a 10 you are fine? Personally I have been driving 12's for as long as I can remember and before that I drove 15's until Enterprise stop renting them out. I guess I need to find a company that has 10's...

ClemDog
10-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Employees of school districts, private schools, community colleges, and California state universities who operate 15-passenger vans must have a CDL with a passenger transport vehicle (PV) endorsement. A 15-passenger van is a van manufactured to accommodate 15 passengers, including the driver, or a van "designed" to carry 15 passengers, including the driver, even if seats have been removed to accommodate fewer than 15 passengers.

Rich Gonzalez
10-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Liam, I just ran over to my wallet!!! Then I almost grabbed my cell phone to yell at my admin! Then I calmed down and went back to the DMV website.

In order to transport more than 10 passenger’s (including driver) you are required to get a CDL (Commercial Driver License)

From DMV web site
A commercial vehicle is a motor vehicle or combination used for hire to transport passengers or property or which:
•Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more
•Is designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 10 passengers, including the driver
•Tows a vehicle or trailer, which has a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more
•Transports hazardous materials, which requires placards
•Tows any combination of two trailers or vehicle and trailer

So I guess as long as you drive a 10 you are fine? Personally I have been driving 12's for as long as I can remember and before that I drove 15's until Enterprise stop renting them out. I guess I need to find a company that has 10's...

THIS sounds much more familiar. Thank, Tony!

Several coaches in recent years (including some this summer) insisted they were able to transport 15 in a van without any special license, which didn't sound correct. The last time I used to rent 15-passenger vans from various rental vehicle companies (a while back), each was pretty good at asking at the counter, "Are you aware that unless you have the proper type of license, you are only allowed to ...?"

One day when picking up a van, the person at the counter DID NOT point this out. So I asker her if such a requirement existed for transporting more than ten. She said yes, but she felt people will do what they want to do so she doesn't tell them the law. (yikes!)

Rick Martinez
10-11-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm told it is also due to insurance.

Peter Brewer
10-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Yes, the "more than 8 passengers" requires a special license if you are transporting school kids. I guess Boy Scouts or church groups is different. The school buses cost about $400 just to fire up for a short league jaunt. The charter cruise bus will cost me $3300 to take to Mt. SAC this coming Friday. That's a two-day trip with paying for the driver's hotel room. I buy his meals, too. I did the vans and parent drivers as well, but that gets complicated since some districts want all the volunteer drivers to also go through all of the hoops a coach does -- CPR, 1st Aid, fingerprints, TB test, as well as full insurance coverage. And if I'm taking 30+ kids, that's about 5 or 6 vans, which is a huge logistic puzzle moving at 75 miles per hour down Hwy 5 for several hours.

The charter bus works, the families don't mind that I charge the kids $150 each for the ride and rooms, I don't have to drive, and I get to sleep on the way back.

Peter Brewer
Northgate High

xcbreak
10-21-2012, 02:58 PM
We have had the same issue at Laguna Beach. We have started to share Charter Buses with other schools for longer trips. Although it is not ideal it has worked rather well. Our athletes have also enjoyed traveling with other teams. We have also done this in track when traveling to Carpentria for CIF.