PDA

View Full Version : Coaches, Please share your meet info.

Coach BL
10-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Now that League Finals results are starting to come in, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to know a little info regarding your meets.
Where was it run, distance, terrain, temperature, etc.?
Another issue would be school names.
I have been coaching for 30+ years in So Cal, but I haven't memorized every team in every league.
At least once in your post spell out the entire team names & ***ociate the mascot name to that team if that is how you will refer to them later in the post.
In this way we can all better share in your programs' post season successes more effectively.
Thanks for listening.

Jon-Paul Ewing
11-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Great idea. It would be nice to have a clue about what the courses are like where the various league meets are held. Up here in SLO County, we have no idea what the courses are like for the rest of our SS brethren. A course database would be a nice feature on this page, just click on course names and get a simple summary. I can sound off about our league meet we just had this afternoon.

PAC 7 League Finals: Fairbanks XC Course at Cuesta College, SLO. 3 miles, difficult course with hills (some debate it is on par with Mt. Sac...) Ideal conditions today, cool with slight breeze. I'm sure Rich will get results posted.
As for school names up here: Arroyo Grande "Eagles", Atascadero "Greyhounds", Paso Robles "Bearcats", Pioneer Valley "Panthers" (Santa Maria), Righetti "Warriors" (Santa Maria), Saint Joseph's "Knights" (Santa Maria), San Luis Obispo "Tigers".

Mark Gardner
11-01-2012, 07:37 PM
When viewing the Big VIII League Finals (with only six schools competing...long story..) you will notice some slower times. The course was a true 5k course that ran over 80% dirt and 20% thick and very uneven grass. It featured some rolling terrain with one 60 yard and very fair hill about 800m from the finish.

Times were 50-60 seconds slower than what the boys ran at the Mt. SAC Invite two weeks ago while the girls look to be a 60-70 second difference.

ML King and Roosevelt proved how they are 79 minute squads at Mt. SAC with Corona backing up their 79:30 performance at Mt. SAC. ML King easily cruised to the league title on the girls side with Corona putting together their best race yet for 2nd place. Roosevelt's girls qualified for the first time to CIF with a step up performance along with Santiago's losing two scorers here in the last several weeks to unfortunately, not qualify.

ML King's boys came away with a 1 point victory with Nathan Torres coming up to outkick two Roosevelt boys the last 200m.

OC Old School
11-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Freeway League runs the same course as the Sunny Hills / Wayne Walker Invite. 3.0 miles, average course, lots of grass (for Craig Park). Runs like an average course, maybe a bit slower than average, when the grass is up.

Weather was great, but for some reason, the top 5 boys ran kinda slow at Varsity this year.