PDA

View Full Version : anima sana in corpore John Doe

Sstoz Tes
12-13-2012, 01:20 AM
For the first time in the history of the state cross-country meet, in 2012 "John Doe" was used as a finisher's name, both by Oakland Technical (O.C.S., d. 1 b.) and Shafter (C.S., d. 2 b.). Neither athlete was a key player -- Shafter's Doe was number 7 on his team (0:19:28) and though Oakland Tech's Doe was number 3 on the team (0:21:10), the 2 - 7 athletes ran as a group (0:21:10 - 0:21:13). In the case of Shafter, athletic.net lists John Doe as a member of the team only for the state meet; in the case of Oakland Technical I find no reference to a John Doe outside of the state meet results. In neither case do I know the reason the name John Doe was used.

Per page seven and Appendix E of the the CIF State Cross-Country Meet Handbook (http://www.cifstate.org/images/Cross_Country/2012_XC_Handbook_-FINAL.pdf), the procedure for substituting/correcting names at the State Meet is about as simple as it gets and, though it does not enumerate a cut-off time, the Handbook does mention that one can make changes the day before the race at least as late as 17:00.

If a coach decides to give him/herself maximum flexibility by setting up a fictional runner such as a John Doe, this gives him/her an advantage over coaches who decide to set their roster with the names of actual athletes. Also in these cases, the runner who actually takes part in the race will never receive recognition for his/her effort. And it messes with my statistics. That's the real problem =)

I don't doubt that coaches have resorted to giving an enumerated bib to a different runner when there are last-second disasters -- an enumerated athlete stuck in traffic, a sudden illness, the twisting of an ankle in the warm-up. This is ethically dubious, but using John Doe is both ethically dubious and flaunting. And it messes with my statistics.

CoachB03
12-13-2012, 05:42 AM
See, "Joe Cougar", from many a SJS meet.

Non Issue, bro.

Hal Harkness
12-13-2012, 06:35 AM
Meet Management uses "John Doe" in instances where teams enter fewer than seven runners. Easier to stuff seven bibs and sets of chips in each packet than create extras from scratch at the meet. It also assumes that coaches pay attention to those items when they receive their packets and make the necessary name changes before they run. Obviously, some don't.