PDA

View Full Version : Gettin' the kids back on here

CoachB03
12-16-2012, 07:31 AM
One of the things that made the old dyestatcal board so great was the participation from the athletes themselves. I think that the inter regional or even the intra league good natured smack talking really motivated a lot of the young guys and girls to go run. I know that in my area (not a hotbed for distance running) a fair number of kids would come on the board and perhpas draw strength from the knowledge that there were lots of other kids out there, like them, doing this weird sport called running.

Brad Peters
12-20-2012, 12:42 PM
the internet moves quickly. from my discussions with kids and observations, message boards are pretty out-dated. One kid told me today when he saw me on facebook (of all things) that "no one goes on facebook any more."

"What do they go on then?" i asked

"Instagram and twitter." So communication has devolved to pictures and 140 characters-or-less half sentences.

George Ramos
12-21-2012, 07:30 AM
communication has devolved to pictures and 140 characters-or-less half sentences.

Damn! That's a sad sentence right there!

CoachB03
12-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Yeah, I had kind of gotten the same sense, just from observing the kids on my team. I have a team blog that any of my athletes can leave comments on, but none ever do. I know they visit it because I can see the stats, but registering, posting, verifying you are not a robot.....too much hassle. Granted, kids at my school were never that big into the boards when the boards were big.

It is sad, George, you are right. Message boards certainly are not the be all and end all of communications, but they certainly are better for communication on a given topic than the frenetic, scattered, chat room type nature of Facebook, twitter, instagram.....

How about a contest to see whose team can get the most kids posting on here?

Dozer
12-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Does this mean we are all old and out of touch..........

This is why i purposefully do not go on Twitter.

trkcoach53
12-27-2012, 10:54 AM
I don't use Twitter on purpose either. I have an account because the school athletic department uses it to announce scores but otherwise I never use it.

We used to think everything was in 30 second segments, news, sports center, etc. but now it seems it's even shorter. Is the current generation going to be informed enough to make decisions in the future?

:cool:

Rich Gonzalez
12-27-2012, 01:20 PM
I don't use Twitter on purpose either. I have an account because the school athletic department uses it to announce scores but otherwise I never use it.

We used to think everything was in 30 second segments, news, sports center, etc. but now it seems it's even shorter. Is the current generation going to be informed enough to make decisions in the future?

:cool:
Duane,

My plan was to read your posting... but you lost me once it went beyond 140 characters. ;)

Seriously, the social skills of the younger crowd are changing these days, partly due to social media trends. Am curious to see the by-product of it in a few years.

DDCPVHS
12-27-2012, 03:06 PM
the internet moves quickly. from my discussions with kids and observations, message boards are pretty out-dated. One kid told me today when he saw me on facebook (of all things) that "no one goes on facebook any more."

"What do they go on then?" i asked

"Instagram and twitter." So communication has devolved to pictures and 140 characters-or-less half sentences.

I think this post hits the issue on the head. The prime of the dyestatcal message boards was, what -- 2007 or 2008? In the intervening years facebook exploded as well as twitter, instagram, and whatever else.

I think it also won't help recruit current athletes if they have to wait a week or more to have their account activated so they can post.

Doug Soles
12-27-2012, 03:29 PM
I started using Twitter in November and I really like it as a way to get messages out to large groups quickly. I also like it for getting instant meet results out. My favorite part of it though is following the things or people I'm interested in and quickly and easily getting all of the updates on them in one place. The kids don't use Twitter as much now. Today they Snapchat.

Our future generations will communicate differently than we did. Although waiting 10 minutes in line for a pay phone when we got home from a track meet when I was in high school sure was fun...

Embrace the changes. They are positive steps forward. My 2 year old is better on the IPad than my wife...

Rich Gonzalez
12-27-2012, 04:00 PM
I think this post hits the issue on the head. The prime of the dyestatcal message boards was, what -- 2007 or 2008? In the intervening years facebook exploded as well as twitter, instagram, and whatever else.

I think it also won't help recruit current athletes if they have to wait a week or more to have their account activated so they can post.

Regarding the account approvals, they were approved pretty much the same day for the first few months. Then spam posts (people trying to sell junk) started appearing. Thus, we changed to having to approve new registrants. It wasn't long until those spam requests started flooding in too (although you don't see those). Hence, around state meet time (when new registrants started to really trickle down, since most that wanted to had already registered), we let the new registrant requests pile up since 99 percent of them (literally). Just process roughly another 250 requests today, and all but three of them were spam.

I suspect new registrations will pick up a little bit when we approach track season. For now, new registrants might need to wait as long as a week (probably less now) to get registered.

Rich

Rich Gonzalez
12-27-2012, 04:01 PM
I started using Twitter in November and I really like it as a way to get messages out to large groups quickly. I also like it for getting instant meet results out. My favorite part of it though is following the things or people I'm interested in and quickly and easily getting all of the updates on them in one place. The kids don't use Twitter as much now. Today they Snapchat.

Our future generations will communicate differently than we did. Although waiting 10 minutes in line for a pay phone when we got home from a track meet when I was in high school sure was fun...

Embrace the changes. They are positive steps forward. My 2 year old is better on the IPad than my wife...

Doug, don't lie.... you STILL line up to use pay phones. ;)

Rich Gonzalez
12-27-2012, 04:02 PM

But I do apologize for that delay. Sorry.

DDCPVHS
12-28-2012, 06:59 AM
But I do apologize for that delay. Sorry.

No worries. I just thought it was sort of ironic that I signed up to respond to one of the earlier messages on this thread and then had to wait a few days for my account to clear. Besides, I don't think it's all bad if the message boards are primarily for coaches / administrators / officials / people who remember the first President Bush. When the athletes were posting it was sometimes amusing to get a window into their thought processes but there was also a lot of clutter. I also think eventually the twitter generation will be forced to communicate in complete sentences, and are well-served by coaches and teachers who don't think it's cul 2 txt lol. In the real world, real business and real money run on good old-fashioned e-mail. I don't think that's going anywhere for a long time to come.