PDA

View Full Version : How many 3200s?

Keith Chann
02-05-2013, 11:51 AM
How many 3200s do you have your kids racing/running over the course of the season?
As a little background on my initial thoughts: I generally have freshmen run very few 3200s unless they come to me with a strong running history. I feel that most athletes don't need to run the 3200 at every meet but do think that there is a learning curve for race strategy. If a kid is potentially going to make CIF Finals, they would therefore have to have run in league finals and CIF prelims, how many 3200m races would you have the athlete enter during the season?
Does this number change if it is a kid just hoping to make league finals? State Finals?
I am interested to know how other coaches feel about this.

rcv_blackhawks_xc
02-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Keith

this question is kind of like the "dual meet" question posed by cush...

my short answer is five 3200s/3000s for the season i will do a longer responce later (i actually had one then when i finally his "post" the computer asked me to log in again and my responce was lost--- ugh!)

cush
02-06-2013, 09:27 AM
don't know if i have a specific # in mind, especially with a potential state qualifier who would have to run 5 3200s from league finals to state. i look at it more as how many hard 3200s do you want to focus on. for example, when i had sierra vega, a 10:24 3200 runner, we looked at meet of champions and arcadia during the season, then league finals and cif finals for post-season--league finals because she could "take a chance" since winning/advancing was for the most part a given, and cif finals because you have to be "on" to make sure you advance. masters tends to be an "easier" meet because of the at-large marks, and then obviously you're keyed up for state. so, i guess that brings us to the short answer above: 5. for some of these reasons, i had sierra run the 1600 at oc champs, normally a key meet for oc athletes. however, i did have her cruise many of our dual meets in the 3200, so she did more than 5 over the course of the season. hope this helps...

Keith Chann
02-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys, for the responses.
Cush, This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I understand the dual meet runs vs tough races and was looking for some input on just what you presented. Thanks

Albert Caruana
02-07-2013, 08:21 AM
In Tony Benson/Irv Ray's book "Run With the Best", 2-3 3200s are all you need to reach peak performance. My good 3200m. runners who were competitive at the section level ran 3 before the league finals. They ran their first one early in the season to get the kinks out. The Stanford 3000m. or a 3200m. around that same team was usually the 2nd one. The third would be later in the season about 2-3 weeks before league finals. They could then cruise through league and the meet leading up to section and go for it at the section finals and possibly state. You can fill the rest of their schedule with 800s/1600s plus 1600m. relay legs. I think this leaves the kids excited to race the 3200m. at the end of the season when they have to run multiple ones on consecutive weekends to get to state.

Rich Gonzalez
02-07-2013, 12:04 PM
don't know if i have a specific # in mind, especially with a potential state qualifier who would have to run 5 3200s from league finals to state. i look at it more as how many hard 3200s do you want to focus on. for example, when i had sierra vega, a 10:24 3200 runner, we looked at meet of champions and arcadia during the season, then league finals and cif finals for post-season--league finals because she could "take a chance" since winning/advancing was for the most part a given, and cif finals because you have to be "on" to make sure you advance. masters tends to be an "easier" meet because of the at-large marks, and then obviously you're keyed up for state. so, i guess that brings us to the short answer above: 5. for some of these reasons, i had sierra run the 1600 at oc champs, normally a key meet for oc athletes. however, i did have her cruise many of our dual meets in the 3200, so she did more than 5 over the course of the season. hope this helps...
Inside the mind of a veteran racer. Thanks Cush!

Coach Razor
02-08-2013, 08:22 AM

We followed almost exactly the same plan with Cami & Amy... Another thing we tried to do is mix it up with lots of different relays to keep the "fun factor" high ;)

Peter Brewer
02-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Interesting:

I'd like to correlate this with how many 3M or 5K races you'd want your athletes to run during a cross country season, if you were aiming at the post-season. Also, how many 1600's would you all consider for a top athlete, or an athlete who might make it out of league? And how your thinking might be different for track as for cross country, and why this would be?

Peter Brewer
Northgate