PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Sleep Tied to Teen Sports Injuries

Albert Caruana
02-08-2013, 07:16 AM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121021102814.htm

Rich Gonzalez
02-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Not surprising, and maybe a bit misleading.

The story states the abstract was centered on a study at one school, which, by the way, is well known for both its academic and athletic success. As the story pointed out, those in higher grades (like juniors and seniors) were more prone to injury. That makes sense since those in higher grades are those on the varsity, competing at a powerhouse program in a strong athletic league. That tougher, high-level competition at the varsity level often leads to greater likelihood of injury.

On a related note, these kids on the varsity often are in sports that play their games at night, often with contests ending at 9:30 p.m. or so, depending on the sport. (Non-varsity teams usually are on the fields form their games not so late). Coupling their later game schedules along with the higher academic rigors at this school, those student-athletes getting less sleep would be logical.

On other words, if you play on varsity, you're already playing in a typically "tougher" environment and the varsity schedule already lends itself (in most sports) to likely getting less sleep. If the sample set in the abstract were moved to a school not as competitive both athletically and academically, my bet is that the rate of injury would be lower even with less sleep.

cush
02-08-2013, 12:11 PM
legendary coach john mcdonnell always recommended 8 hours sleep/night with his arkansas athletes, and claimed the best did this. i knew a few of the arkansas dudes, and, while i would never dispute the necessity of rest, i'm not sure they all managed to follow it while in college.

the article/school referenced, however, is clearly an indictment of coach razor, whom we all know makes his athletes run before school, during lunch, after school, and in their sleep....

Rich Gonzalez
02-08-2013, 12:12 PM
i knew a few of the arkansas dudes, and, while i would never dispute the necessity of rest, i'm not sure they all managed to follow it while in college.

lol!