PDA

View Full Version : Invitational Fees

Mark Gardner
02-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Are $400+ fees for Track & Field invitationals too much in light of the fundraising issues we are currently pressed with (ACLU and district/booster club restrictions/guidelines) along with the lack of transportation we are now receiving across the board?

It seems to be more of a challenge than ever before to attend 4-5 invitationals at $400+ per invite under the current duress of the state (educational, thus school district) budgets. I'm no longer allowed bussing on Saturdays and not willing to allocate an additional $500-$600 per bus for the entire day when I have athletes sporatically competing throughout that day.

Why can't we get this all back down to $250-$300, hope for 20-25 schools and consider that a $5000-$7500 profit before expenses? You would make over $1000+ on the snack bar with 20-25 schools, t-shirt sales, entry gate fees..... heck, some schools are finding a way for ASB/ROTC/Band to charge for parking now....

Reading this back - it sounds like I'm bitching and whining....I apologize if so. I'm just wondering if others are experiencing the same frustrations as I feel that I'm more likely to attend an invite based on it's cost (bargain) than anything else these days.

:Dp.s. no snarkiness in this thread folks....

RichEde
02-23-2013, 08:23 AM
It's a vicious circle. All the fund-raising requirements on a school make it far more important to clear a large amount of money from a fund-raising invitational, which then other schools must pay and ratchet up THEIR fund-raisers.

I've always had a problem with charging gate admission to the same parents who are footing the bills for all the other fund-raising for their teams. Over the 33 years of my invitational meet, our greatest income came from sponsors in a 32 page program. with snack bar the #2. But that was in the days of the $1.50 per entry. Charging $400 for an entry fee is by far the easiest way to generate income. Selling sponsorships, printing programs, coordinating snack bars and t-shirt sales are hard work, and require a dedication to a philosophy of shifting the cost of the meet away from the participants and the parents.

Doug Soles
02-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Are $400+ fees for Track & Field invitationals too much in light of the fundraising issues we are currently pressed with (ACLU and district/booster club restrictions/guidelines) along with the lack of transportation we are now receiving across the board?

It seems to be more of a challenge than ever before to attend 4-5 invitationals at $400+ per invite under the current duress of the state (educational, thus school district) budgets. I'm no longer allowed bussing on Saturdays and not willing to allocate an additional $500-$600 per bus for the entire day when I have athletes sporatically competing throughout that day.

Why can't we get this all back down to $250-$300, hope for 20-25 schools and consider that a $5000-$7500 profit before expenses? You would make over $1000+ on the snack bar with 20-25 schools, t-shirt sales, entry gate fees..... heck, some schools are finding a way for ASB/ROTC/Band to charge for parking now....

Reading this back - it sounds like I'm bitching and whining....I apologize if so. I'm just wondering if others are experiencing the same frustrations as I feel that I'm more likely to attend an invite based on it's cost (bargain) than anything else these days.

Mark,

We started the Great Oak Distance Invite a few years back at $75 a full team because of the rising costs for a large team like ours and we wanted to offer a cheap well run meet for teams to attend. We were paying over $1000 in entry fees at the time to attend an invite which was an awesome meet but we started to look at the swing if we just stayed home that weekend and hosted a meet. We only make a few thousand on our meet, but we save over $3000 from doing our old schedule so it is a big swing. We still have at least one meet on the schedule that costs us over $1000 a year to attend in entry fees. Personally, I think Arcadia should be commended for putting a cap in a while ago as that one could really add up fast if they didn't. Very helpful for teams that want to get as many kids on the track as possible! I think all meets should cap their fees somewhere! :)

I have personally noticed many teams struggling with transportation issues thanks to the ACLU lawsuit. We just cut 120 athletes from our team. Why? The ACLU took their value and made them an expense. We would have been able to keep most of them in the past because of fees and had the money to for buses and other invites for them, but not now. Sad that something that was implemented to help participation has probably hurt way more athletes than it has helped. Someone didn't think that one through at all...

Can't think of a snarky comment. Darn.

Doug

JStepp
02-23-2013, 07:34 PM
That settles it! The Corona-Norco Frosh/Soph meet will now provide transportation to and from the meet for every school in attendance, including the YV. And now, the entry fees are capped at $50.00, unlimited entries, plus lots of free food for coaches & dinner afterwards.

BTW, I still want my shirt. :cool:

Mark Gardner
02-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Wish I could cap them off at $50.... $250 with unlimited entries is still a bargain for our invite! :D Now, no more shameless plugs for our cheaper invites Doug!

Ari Gold TC
02-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Opportunity costs. There are plenty of fine invites that are relatively inexpensive. But the greater issue is do we feel we have the RIGHT to go to an invitational because we want to attend. Maybe we should start to legislate track meets as well. Maybe form a committee with Mark and Doug determining what is fair for others to charge.

Matt Rainwater
02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
I feel that meets are rather expensive to put on and we are capitalists. If you don't want to pay the fee, don't go to the meet. With that said we are hosting a relay invite that has a team cap of $225 and are likely going to loose money on the event. So if you don't want to pay high fees either don't attend that meet, put on a meet of your own or come to ours, we still have room.

Matt Rainwater
02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
I feel that meets are rather expensive to put on and we are capitalists. If you don't want to pay the fee, don't go to the meet. With that said we are hosting a relay invite that has a team cap of $225 and are likely going to loose money on the event. So if you don't want to pay high fees either don't attend that meet, put on a meet of your own or come to ours, we still have room. Check the calendar for the Brea Relays on Friday March 9th.