PDA

View Full Version : Almost time for XC!

Keith Chann
04-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Well it is almost that time of year already. While most track coaches are gearing up for a run to league prelims and finals and some are aiming for CIF Prelims, Finals, the Masters meet or even state, there are some of us (at least that is what I try to tell myself to justify my insanity) who already have an eye towards the fall. Our ADs are asking for schedules, our leagues are asking for schedules, kids are starting to wonder about summer training, meet directors (of which I am one) are working on setting dates and making flyers. I can finally allow my insanity to boil over and begin my initial pre-pre-season analysis. Looking at last year's results, eliminating the seniors, pouring over meet results to find what those underclassmen ran at Clovis or Mt. SAC Invite, trying to convert a rain course time using extremely limited data and vastly different conditions, just to try to get a glimpse at the future. Is a 10:00 3200 time really equivalent toa 16:00 Mt. SAC time? Can that Freshman phenom really continue to improve? Will the powerhouses reload or simply face a down year before rising up again? All this to just appease my own inner curiosity and to be proven completely wrong time and time again as underclassmen fade or rise up, senior laden teams make one final push, up-starts surprise us all and freshmen make us shake our heads for good and bad, sometimes in the same day!

It is almost here. And I have begun typing results into a spread sheet, dusted off from a winter of neglect. The un-official, pre-preview analysis will be posted soon. Some familiar names at the top as always but some newcomers are looking to the podium!

Good luck to all in the last couple of weeks of track. My brain is mostly out on the roads and courses of the fall already with an eye still checking the D3 leaders lists!

Remylive
04-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Keith,

You've got to branch out and tackle all divisions! You're DIII analysis is always great. Give us more!

Rene

Keith Chann
04-25-2013, 06:56 AM
Thanks Rene, but I mostly do this for my own personal benefit since I am in Div 3. I occasionally let my sickness/insanity leak out and publish them. I probably would not be as thorough at the other divisions simply because I am not as vested. I do usually rank Riverside County but Mark covers that and I usually just give him my view and he does what he wants with it. You probably have a much better analysis of Division 2 than I would do, I am just silly enough to post mine. Occasionally I will do some analysis of the other divisions but don't usually publish any of it because those people in the top 2 divisions REALLy take thaty stuff seriously.

That being said, what other analysis would you like to see?

(I always try to go by your signature on these things: "Note to self: no one cares!" but I sometimes put it out there anyway.)

Doug Soles
04-25-2013, 07:10 AM
I've got your D2 Girls XC rankings right here! :)

1. Saugus
2. Everybody else

Haha, wow that took less time than I thought it would! ;)

Disclaimer: No offense was intended by this post. The humorous nature with which it was intended by the author is expected to be accurately and intelligently understood by all readers.

Remylive
04-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks Rene, but I mostly do this for my own personal benefit since I am in Div 3. I occasionally let my sickness/insanity leak out and publish them. I probably would not be as thorough at the other divisions simply because I am not as vested. I do usually rank Riverside County but Mark covers that and I usually just give him my view and he does what he wants with it. You probably have a much better analysis of Division 2 than I would do, I am just silly enough to post mine. Occasionally I will do some analysis of the other divisions but don't usually publish any of it because those people in the top 2 divisions REALLy take thaty stuff seriously.

That being said, what other analysis would you like to see?

(I always try to go by your signature on these things: "Note to self: no one cares!" but I sometimes put it out there anyway.)

So true, no one cares...

Post your DIII rankings and I'll take a shot at DII. Who's going to do DI? Doug, Gardner, anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Remylive
04-25-2013, 09:23 AM

1. Saugus
2. Everybody else

Haha, wow that took less time than I thought it would! ;)

Disclaimer: No offense was intended by this post. The humorous nature with which it was intended by the author is expected to be accurately and intelligently understood by all readers.
I refuse to be ranked #1. We're underdogs this year!

evansrae
04-25-2013, 11:20 AM
I refuse to be ranked #1. We're underdogs this year!

Underdogs?!! HaHa!!!!

Keith Chann
04-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Post your DIII rankings and I'll take a shot at DII. Who's going to do DI? Doug, Gardner, anyone, anyone, Bueller?

How soon do we want rankings? Should we wait until track is over? Boys or girls?

(Perhaps if I move to a D1 school I will tackle that division but for now I will stick to D3. I might do Div 4 and Div 5 because those schools usually get the shaft on rankings but in the past they have been very difficult for me to get good meaningful data for.)

KeepTheFaith
04-26-2013, 07:46 AM

Nice disclaimer! Some might want to use that as part of their signature. :)

Coach Razor
05-07-2013, 07:13 AM
I'm so glad when I hear that I have company in my obsessiveness for assembling lists & data... Also Keith, I too have already started my pre-pre work for XC even though I should still have at least a couple more weeks of track. I just can't help myself :)

I also take the track CIF prelims entries and make a spread sheet listing all seasonal bests and PRs to assist me in giving my runners the best race plan possible for their heat. I continue to do that through every round we qualify someone... I'm certain I'm not the only one.

Can't wait to see what anyone makes of my crew for XC ;)

Keith Chann
05-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Just a few mussings while my students are taking a test.

With many of the top programs all worried about their athletes competing in CIF-SS Divisional Finals and advancing to the Masters meet, those of us less fortunate (not as good) are hard at work trying to gain any advantage.

Good luck to all this weekend.

With only 1 week left of school for us, we shall soon see if my kids care enough to build on past work or if they will take the summer off. I know our competition is hard at work and I hope that the kids realize it.

With the early start of summer for us and the later cross country calendar, it is a long time until our next competition! I hope I can be patient and become the coach my kids deserve.

Mark Gardner
05-16-2013, 10:30 PM
In regard to surprises this upcoming season....

Dana Hills returns 8 boys that just broke 10 minutes in the 3200..
Warren had 5 boys break 9:53....

more to come

Martin Pennell
05-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Dana Hills has 8 guys under 10:00... Hey Gardner, I thought you said something about a "surprise"?

In other news Warren Buffet made more money than me last year.

Mark Gardner
05-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Martin -

Now I reread it, the sarcasm wasn't there like I intended in regard to Dana Hills. Great Oak developed a much deeper squad this past Track season than what we saw at the end of last November. Only because we compete against them - ML King has also developed some nice, YOUNG talent that will make them a 'surprise' this upcoming Fall.