PDA

View Full Version : CST, IB, AP Testing

Doug Soles
05-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Coaches,

I want to preface this as not being a complaint as most all of our kids are taking these tests. My curiosity is how many coaches out there feel that their kids performances suffer at the end of track season as they start taking all of these tests? It seems some kids are taking a test every day and are are mentally and physically wiped when they come out to practice. Am I the only one seeing this, or is this across the board at all schools?

Anyone have anything they do to help with testing and preparing for the CIF schedule of races?

Thanks,

Doug

Cougarxc
05-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Doug, We also just went thru this the Last week in a Half so far. Star Testing, Prom, SAT and AP Testing. Then Just Trying to Stay on Top of the Regular Homework that they give you!

Rob Collins

Torres BHDP
05-09-2013, 09:16 AM
To say training has been disrupted would be an understatement... AP testing with prom and other senior activities takes a severe toll on my runners' sleep patterns and energy levels. As an AP teacher myself, I'm trying hard to accommodate each of them individually, but the last 1.5 weeks has been very tough.

I've been forced to cut our usual scheduled workouts and revert to simply posting the most important workouts and saying "get them done when you can" hopefully with another team member but if not, on their own. All our workouts have had to be improvised on the football field because I can't ever get them together at the same time to drive out to a trail, park, or track to train.

I've also been forced to combine workouts to try and not lose contact with certain energy systems. For example, we've missed our scheduled tempo run now for the 3rd week in a row so I've been forced to shorten up our long run a little and insert the tempo at the end.

I usually feel confident after league finals, but by the time I'm sitting in the stands at prelims it feels more like a crapshoot.

Rich Gonzalez
05-09-2013, 09:38 AM
To say training has been disrupted would be an understatement... AP testing with prom and other senior activities takes a severe toll on my runners' sleep patterns and energy levels. As an AP teacher myself, I'm trying hard to accommodate each of them individually, but the last 1.5 weeks has been very tough.

I've been forced to cut our usual scheduled workouts and revert to simply posting the most important workouts and saying "get them done when you can" hopefully with another team member but if not, on their own. All our workouts have had to be improvised on the football field because I can't ever get them together at the same time to drive out to a trail, park, or track to train.

I've also been forced to combine workouts to try and not lose contact with certain energy systems. For example, we've missed our scheduled tempo run now for the 3rd week in a row so I've been forced to shorten up our long run a little and insert the tempo at the end.

I usually feel confident after league finals, but by the time I'm sitting in the stands at prelims it feels more like a crapshoot.

Great post (and great topic too, Doug). It sure puts a different perspective on what the students are up against. It's quote the challenge for coaches to try and keep it all balanced. Whew!

Coach Razor
05-09-2013, 11:57 AM
We have the same challenges... About 3/4 of our athletes have APs on top of all the other end of the year hoopla. Difficult indeed.

jebeat
05-12-2013, 07:51 AM
As the AP Coordinator at Buena High, I've been waking up and getting to school an hour and a half earlier than I usually do every day last week to set up for testing. My stress levels have been high and energy levels low, and I'm not even taking the tests! I can only imagine what it's like for the kids, and many of them are taking multiple tests. Unfortunately the College Board sets the exam dates (which have to be strictly adhered to), and even if the kids opt to take a late-testing exam (for $40 extra), those fall during masters meet/state meet weeks.

It really makes the efforts that the kids put forth during this busy, stressful time even more spectacular!

John Beattie
Buena High School

phildampier
05-13-2013, 01:15 PM
We have had it where kids AP test then go to league finals. As you can imagine they never PR then.

Rick Reaser
05-13-2013, 08:21 PM
This is great preparation for college and the "real world." Mountain West Conference Championships are ALWAYS during the two weeks of finals at San Diego State. Last week we had a girl PR in the Discus and Hammer, another PR in the LJ and TJ (with a National Leading Mark no less--look it up), another in the 100H and TJ, another in the Javelin, another in the 200m, two in the 100H, one in the 400H, one in the 400m, and a last one in the Discus. One of our girls was athlete of meet and the Aztecs won Conference. Our girl who PRed in the Disc and Hammer skipped her HS Prom to compete in the CA State Meet. You may have read about that in DyeStatCal. My daughter changed in the car after Division Prelims on the way to her prom two years in a row, while other girls skipped CIF-SS Prelims altogether after qualifying. It's all about priorities and time management. A lot of our ladies (as well as student athletes from other universities) were studying during the four day Championships. One even took a final with a proctor between prelims and finals. Young people need to understand that life is tough and that they have to make choices. My perspective is a bit different since I went to a Military Academy for College. What a rude awakening that was. But if an athlete wants to play in the NCAA, it's way harder than HS and AP tests.

Martin Pennell
05-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Coaches,

I want to preface this as not being a complaint as most all of our kids are taking these tests. My curiosity is how many coaches out there feel that their kids performances suffer at the end of track season as they start taking all of these tests? It seems some kids are taking a test every day and are are mentally and physically wiped when they come out to practice. Am I the only one seeing this, or is this across the board at all schools?

I'm fortunate enough not to suffer with such problems. I really discourage any "tough" classes. I also try and keep my athletes right at a 2.0 GPA, basically Majoring in Eligibility. This frees up a lot of time and mental energy for running. Then I tell them, the ONLY way you can get to college now is on an athletic scholarship. I find it keeps them motivated to train hard. School records keep falling so it must be working.

JStepp
05-16-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm fortunate enough not to suffer with such problems. I really discourage any "tough" classes. I also try and keep my athletes right at a 2.0 GPA, basically Majoring in Eligibility. This frees up a lot of time and mental energy for running. Then I tell them, the ONLY way you can get to college now is on an athletic scholarship. I find it keeps them motivated to train hard. School records keep falling so it must be working.

Welcome to my world!!! That's the philosophy I preach everyday. As with everything I preach, they don't listen. STUPID KIDS!