PDA

View Full Version : Williams going for the triple at LACS

Matt Holden
05-11-2013, 11:21 AM
It looks like Marissa Williams might be going for the triple at the LACS meet. In League finals, the other day, she ran 5:03, 2:19, 10:56. I think the odds are in her favor; the only event I see posing a challenge is the 800m where a few LACS girls are already in the 2:17 - 2:19 range. Williams can easily run that fast, but if it's hot, and she gets pressed enough in the 1600 such that she has to run sub 5:00, the 2:15 800 that is likely required to win city might be challenging. What do you think? I don't think an athlete has successfully completed the distance triple at the LACS championships since the great Roman Gomez did in 1985 (and he went on to two state championships that year in the 1600 and 3200).

lbxcart
05-11-2013, 08:34 PM
With those marks I think that triple is possible for L.A.city section. Most years those marks would be the winners @ LACS. the question is how well will she fare @ the state meet when the competition gets tougher. Best of luck to her, nice to see quality distance come out of lausd/LACS

Side note... I do remember a distance runner from LASC early 2000s who pulled off the 1600-800-3200 triple and winning all three... Then went on to qualified to state finals in all three, but can't remember his name... Anyone recall who that was?

Remylive
05-11-2013, 08:47 PM
With those marks I think that triple is possible for L.A.city section. Most years those marks would be the winners @ LACS. the question is how well will she fare @ the state meet when the competition gets tougher. Best of luck to her, nice to see quality distance come out of lausd/LACS

Side note... I do remember a distance runner from LASC early 2000s who pulled off the 1600-800-3200 triple and winning all three... Then went on to qualified to state finals in all three, but can't remember his name... Anyone recall who that was?
Andre Young of Marshall.

Matt Holden
05-12-2013, 07:56 AM

I would assume that she drops the 800m between city and state