PDA

View Full Version : CIF due's for H.S sports

Leo Hernnandez
05-15-2013, 06:34 PM
I've been coaching at Monroe H.S for 14 years now. We are in the L.A city section, which is a section with its own district. For the first time, now that we are moving out of L.A city and into CIF, our school will be charged the $7530.00 in order to participate in CIF. Our school district used to cover that cost since the district has been alive. What does your school do? Do you guys charge the athletes, teams, boosters...etc or does the H.S itself just cover the cost? Our school wants to make our athletes raise the $$$$.

Mark Evans
05-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Our school covers the cost. Athletes are not asked to raise that money. I don't know of any school that does not cover the fee. I was not even aware of what the fee is or how it is covered. Good luck with this.

Doug Soles
05-16-2013, 06:54 AM
I've been coaching at Monroe H.S for 14 years now. We are in the L.A city section, which is a section with its own district. For the first time, now that we are moving out of L.A city and into CIF, our school will be charged the $7530.00 in order to participate in CIF. Our school district used to cover that cost since the district has been alive. What does your school do? Do you guys charge the athletes, teams, boosters...etc or does the H.S itself just cover the cost? Our school wants to make our athletes raise the $$$$.

Leo,

That is for the school or district to cover, not the kids. If your school wants to go to CIF, then they are responsible for providing that, not the kids.

Doug

Hal Harkness
05-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Leo is talking about the new independent LA City Section Office. LAUSD will not longer pay any of the expenses associated with the section (salaries, benefits, playoffs, etc.) and the schools are being assessed to help cover the expenses.

Keith Chann
05-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Is the LA City section dissolving? Is there anything in LA City Section outside of the LAUSD?

Hal Harkness
05-16-2013, 11:41 AM
The LA Section is not dissolving, the major change is in the way it will be financed. The LAUSD will not longer fund the operations of the Section Office and it will be funded by playoff income, corporate sponsorship and school dues, as most of the other CIF sections are. The school dues portion is what Leo Hernandez was describing in his original post at the top of this thread.

Leo Hernnandez
05-19-2013, 07:35 PM
I guess my question is, can a school make their athletes pay for the cif due's?

seekingadvice
05-20-2013, 05:13 AM
From the LAUSD sports website:

Q11 What sources of funds can schools use to pay the Section dues?
Schools have several options to pay Section dues:
1) Use of Student Body Funds;
2) Fundraising;
3) Use of a donation account. Please note that students/parents cannot be required to contribute to this assessment.

Chad Scott
05-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Our school pays all CIF fees, presumably from the general athletics fund. At our school, all ticket sales to sporting events go into this fund...so football and boys basketball don't get to keep their sales. From this fund we pay for subs if coaches need to leave before the end of the day, sport facilities upkeep, other athletics related items, and I assume the CIF dues. Our administration has never asked our XC or Track team to contribute toward the standard CIF dues.