PDA

View Full Version : Question for the coaches who travel

Tony DiMarco
05-23-2013, 08:18 PM
So I am really thinking about taking my team to the Bob Firman Invite this coming season but I am figuring in will cost my athletes $500-$600 each which for kids from Whittier is two years of trainers and flats! The Liams, Doug's, Jason's, and Jim's of the world, how do you guys do it?

Any advice on fundraisers? Travel agents? Group discounts? Banks I can rob?

Also, those who have been to Bob Firman... is it worth the trip? Is anyone planning on attending this year? It's the weekend of Woodbridge.

Thanks!

Tony

Martin Pennell
05-23-2013, 11:26 PM
So I am really thinking about taking my team to the Bob Firman Invite this coming season but I am figuring in will cost my athletes $500-$600 each which for kids from Whittier is two years of trainers and flats! The Liams, Doug's, Jason's, and Jim's of the world, how do you guys do it?

Also, those who have been to Bob Firman... is it worth the trip? Is anyone planning on attending this year? It's the weekend of Woodbridge.

Thanks!

Tony

How many are you looking to take? Typically transportation is the greatest expense. 14 or less and I'd carpool or take school vans if that is an option. Charter bus for that trip is at least 2k, so you have to fill those seats with athletes and parents. When we would go to Stanford we'd get a bus and keep the cost under $200 and that was for 2 nights. Stanford only had Varsity and JV so did 1 Boys Sweeps Varsity, 1 Regular Boys Varsity, 1 Girls Varsity and 1 Boys and 1 Girls JV, for 35 athletes. We had 4 coaches and 11 open seats which we filled with parents to help save on costs. With Priceline you can get hotels to compete and bid on your business if you are doing 10 rooms or more. I would also suggest finding a hotel with breakfast included, usually they are fairly nutritious and that is less money on the kids. I also like to pre-order dinners for everyone when I do large groups. You can usually find a place to give you a pre fixe menu with a few options for a flat fee. Now it just hit me... IDAHO. Flights are gonna be pricey but you can usually get a small discount for 10 or more. Book at least 2 months in advance though. Best of luck Tony, I hope you guys go because I want to finish 1 place higher at Woodbridge.

honkforcookies
05-24-2013, 06:24 AM
The Bob Firman meet also offers Travel Assistance: http://bobfirman.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=358&title_id=417&do=title&pg=1&folder_id=719&page_id=2059

If you split that $500 between 7 boys that defrays the cost per kid ~$70. It's a start I guess. There's also a note on there that perhaps they could increase the amount as well?

honkforcookies
05-24-2013, 06:34 AM
As far as the race goes, from limited experience, it's a very different race from typical SoCal XC races. Long first straight-away then a narrow course the rest of the way, lots of twists and turns, ups and downs, tough to get a rhythm on the course especially if you get buried deep in the race (sound like NXN much?).

Doug Soles
05-24-2013, 07:09 AM

Thanks!

Tony

Tony,

We just do 1 fundraiser for our trips a year.

https://www.reachingourgoal.org/

We make between $10,000 & $14,500 a year. It is quick, easy, and effective. We have taken trips to Manhattan, Great American, etc. and it is all covered by this fundraiser. The kids pay for their food and anything they want to bring home from the meet. We cover the rest from the fundraiser. Every athlete on the team is eligible for the trip, they just gotta run fast to be selected.

Doug

Brad Peters
06-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Charter buses are way beyond 2 grand for a trip of that length, but you may have already seen that. Maybe a closer meet? Stanford is competitive and a bit closer.

It's definitely not easy, especially if your community isn't rolling in expendable income. A corporate sponsor perhaps?

Look around for Southwest flights -- you could eliminate one night of lodging if you could find a cheap fare.

Tony DiMarco
06-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the replies!

CWAT
08-13-2013, 10:50 PM

Thanks!

Tony

I also found that it is effective when the students write letters out to other friends and family members that may not be local enough to support their fundraisers such as car washes, food fundraisers and the like. By mailing a letter out, many times, they get a number of replies back and it adds up pretty quickly. We also rely heavily on recycling, food fundraisers, and advertisements to defray much of the costs of the trip. One of the keys is, we start really early to try to get as many athletes as possible the opportunity to raise the money to go. Best of luck to you!

Jason