PDA

View Full Version : Freshman CA Distance 2013 - Greatest Senior CA Distance Class by 2016?

break4minmile
06-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Year of the Youth Runner Revolution? It seems more often than not, successful youth runners fail to have the physical and mental stamina to succeed level after level (youth, HS, college). If you look at the age groups distance champs of the past, often times they are not the elite high school runners by senior year. All three of this year's elite CA distance freshman (Tamagno, Rocha, Ogden) were excellent distance runners as youth. Also, a few of their youth counterparts may be just as good when their growth spurt kicks in. Do you think this freshman CA distance class will go down as the greatest senior CA distance class when 2016 rolls around? What has experience taught you about why great youth runners generally don't carry it through to senior year?

Matt Rainwater
06-13-2013, 10:23 AM
I think that these athletes will have some exciting performances over the next 3 years. It’s always great to see young kids running fast but many factors outside of times greatly influence their future performance. Having a great support group and determination to excel are often the most telling influences. My observation over the past 17 years in athletics is that top up-and-comers often begin to expect things to happen based on previous performances. This can lead to complacency and decreased performances over time. You can look at Alan Webb or Michael Granville, in their post-HS carriers, and see that they struggled to reach their perceived potential. So I would suggest sitting back, enjoy their future success and not place unrealistic expectations on these kids.

rnrdad
06-13-2013, 11:35 AM
I think that these athletes will have some exciting performances over the next 3 years. It’s always great to see young kids running fast but many factors outside of times greatly influence their future performance. Having a great support group and determination to excel are often the most telling influences. My observation over the past 17 years in athletics is that top up-and-comers often begin to expect things to happen based on previous performances. This can lead to complacency and decreased performances over time. You can look at Alan Webb or Michael Granville, in their post-HS carriers, and see that they struggled to reach their perceived potential. So I would suggest sitting back, enjoy their future success and not place unrealistic expectations on these kids.

I agree.

break4minmile
06-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Great input.