PDA

View Full Version : Coach O'Brien out as Arcadia H.S coach.

Leo Hernnandez
06-19-2013, 12:00 PM
This is very sad news. People in power sometimes don't care about the kids. I've known coach O'Brien for 13 years and I've seen his program develop into the power it is now. Too bad what a few people with power can do to kids, a community and school.

seekingadvice
06-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Curious if he keeps O'Brien's Army through XC and if the HS kids will run with his team and not participate with Arcadia's team. Imagine what the school would think then.

rnrdad
06-19-2013, 12:17 PM
So, how does this figure into the club versus school discussion??

rnrdad
06-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Has any other California High School coach won a Nike National Championship in XC? Not trying to be funny, serious question.

Doug Soles
06-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Has any other California High School coach won a Nike National Championship in XC? Not trying to be funny, serious question.

Nope.

Keith Chann
06-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Can of worms, now opened!

Strange situation coming: Former coach still teacher on campus (I would think), national championship team, student-athletes run for club not school team, new coach on campus, very interesting dynamics going on. I hope all the best for the invested parties.

rnrdad
06-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Can of worms, now opened!

Strange situation coming: Former coach still teacher on campus (I would think), national championship team, student-athletes run for club not school team, new coach on campus, very interesting dynamics going on. I hope all the best for the invested parties.

Why would O'Brien stay?

Keith Chann
06-20-2013, 01:40 PM
It is not so easy to move as a teacher. He has many years there and PE teachers are not in high demand. Most districts will only give 10 years of service for placement on the salary scale. If he left the district he would most likely lose money and it is tough to find PE teaching jobs right now. THis is not like most industries as far as moving from place to place goes.

rnrdad
06-20-2013, 02:22 PM
It is not so easy to move as a teacher. He has many years there and PE teachers are not in high demand. Most districts will only give 10 years of service for placement on the salary scale. If he left the district he would most likely lose money and it is tough to find PE teaching jobs right now. THis is not like most industries as far as moving from place to place goes.

Very solid reasons. Thanks for the explanation.

break4minmile
06-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Great article about this story. Coach O'Brien spoke at last weekend's Mt. SAC Cross Country Clinic and it is crystal clear what he is about, which is creating a culture of hard work/commitment and an environment of boldness and truthfulness. It may not always come out in the most politically correct way, especially to the average adult that cares more about the tone of the word than the idea behind it. The difference between the average and good is fairly small, however the difference between the good and great is a grand canyon (Coach Joe Newton doesn't seem like the most well mannered HS XC coach either, but for what he teaches in running and about life to his kids, he is rightfully well respected). The saddest part of this whole story is the fact the kids in their running community will suffer and the distance program will undoubtedly follow suit. The real magic in life is PASSION and with this decision the Arcadia educational leaders have lost a great community leader. I just hope he steps into another program soon so the community of running doesn't lose a great coach.

http://www.runnersworld.com/high-school/why-a-top-high-school-coach-was-fired?page=1

Steve Chavez
06-28-2013, 01:16 PM
This entire situation is a perfect example of bureaucracy and differences between grown adults getting in the way of what is best for kids. Having worked alongside Coach O'Brien and having known him for over 10 years I can say that 100% of his efforts (which are considerably more than just about every coach in the country) are directed toward inspiring and developing excellence and success in his athletes. His level of care goes well beyond the athlete-coach relationship and he is ardent about his athletes being responsible and ethical citizens. There is not one thing I can say that's is negative about Jim as a coach or a person. He is one of the most honorable men I know and he is always willing to put himself in a difficult position if it means protecting his kids.
All he has done is elevate AHS XC to THE premier distance program in the nation. His 2010 squad in my opinion was the greatest XC team in national history. Debate all you want but they dismantled every course record on every course they ran on that year (including California's most hallowed) on the way to running away with two national championship meets. It will be a long time before we see that again.
As for the mess with AHS, having seen the relationship there first hand there are multiple and significant personality conflicts going on there. This is certainly not uncommon, but regardless of how ugly those relationships might be, they should never be allowed to negatively impact kids. There are ego issues here that do not involve Coach O'Brien which will never be made public, which is to the credit of Coach O'Brien. For those involved who see victory in this decision I hope that one day you feel the shame that is due for your part in this.

rnrdad
06-28-2013, 03:08 PM
I have been following this on 4 different sites, including national sites. Yes, it is a national story. Yes, people across the nation are interested and following it.

Mr. Chavez, your input is the most reasoned, logical, and well written of all.

ThreeTrees
06-29-2013, 07:27 AM
always willing to put himself in a difficult position if it means protecting his kids.

Agree!

Except Lompoc is the greatest ever, and next year's CBA team will give them a run for their money.

Ed Winczowski
06-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Agree!

Except Lompoc is the greatest ever, and next year's CBA team will give them a run for their money.

Arcadia's team this fall might have become the best ever if this situation did not arise and I say that not caring how fast CBA's guys ran this spring.

ThreeTrees
06-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Arcadia's team this fall might have become the best ever if this situation did not arise and I say that not caring how fast CBA's guys ran this spring.

Kinda agree. Watching those two at NXN would have been awesome, and the muddy conditions may have favored Arcadia. But it doesn't happen without O'Brien.

Ed Winczowski
06-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Kinda agree. Watching those two at NXN would have been awesome, and the muddy conditions may have favored Arcadia. But it doesn't happen without O'Brien.

Aaahhhh.....why so negative all of the time ThreeTrees? I'm gonna stop this comparison before someone busts your chops and says CBA is a private school and can recruit and you go off on a different tangent. I like many others have my own opinions on this situation and mine clearly favor Coach O'Brien and they are not going to change. But why not give the Arcadia kids a chance without Coach O'Brien? They are experienced champions and pretty fit from training under him. Maybe this won't be such a rough transition. Besides, I'm willing to bet they have a MASSIVE chip on their shoulder with a HUGE sense of purpose to get things done this fall. All of us should know by now that a serious purpose = seriously focused. Good luck to them as they are the real victims in this debacle.

break4minmile
06-29-2013, 05:32 PM
No disrespect to the runners, but if you chop off the head the body will eventually fall.