PDA

View Full Version : How to succeed in Coaching High School

rnrdad
08-13-2013, 10:07 AM
As an interested observer and parent I thought I would post some observations.

O'Brein was fired by his administration and it was supported by his school board. After the firing references were made about alleged CIF violations and how the Board and School had to protect the interests of all the students.

A Beverly Hills High track coach was fired by his administrators, and parents and athletes protested that, but it hasn't received the same attention. Now there is a story in the LA times that the adminitrator and some coaches had a private summer athletic program that kids were encouraged to attend but the coach thought there was a better way for track kids to workout but was told to "get with the program" before he was fired.

Recall the LA84 presenter saying fear your administrator before you fear CIF.

In the O'Brien matter, there is no evidence CIF had anything to do with his termination, or non-renewal. O'Brien and his supporters deny the allegations as they understand them, even while some claim they have made admissions.

There are negative comments, but most seem to be fron those firing him, and those he said rude things to.

I haven't seen anything negative about the Beverly Hills Coach.

There is no doubt that rules and level playing field are absolutely neccesary. No doubt cheaters should be removed.

As I said in a different post, Hypocrisy is disgusting, in my opinion. Glass houses and all that.

O'Brien is, arguably, the best, or one of the best High School Running coaches in the nation. not just for the national titles his boys have won, but by the overwhelming number of athletes and parents who have spoken up for him. His boys did prove that California can win National Titles.

I also truly beleive that the vast majority of coaches do a fantastic job with their kids.

There are any number of dismissed coaches. They are at will employees and year to year appointments after all.

The lesson I am getting from all of this is basic:

What you have accomplished and the number of people who recognize and appreciate what you have done really doesn't matter if your interest is longevity in coaching at a school.

Do not get your boss angry.

Stay popular with the governing bodies and your peers but remember who makes the call.

Keep saying it is all about the kids, just like everyone else does. Hopefully you actually mean it and live it, but at the end of the day it is power that counts.

If you want to stick around, CONFORM, even if that means your kids may not achieve what they are truly capable of.

George Ramos
08-15-2013, 05:06 AM
I can't help but add two more basic rules:

1. Follow the written rules of your sport.
2. Follow the unwritten rules of respectful behavior toward everyone.

XCPCC
08-15-2013, 08:31 AM

Well said Coach, well said!

rnrdad
08-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Well said Coach, well said!

Total and complete agreement. Everyone.