PDA

View Full Version : How many miles should your top girls run per week during August?

Matt Rainwater
08-18-2013, 11:52 AM
I keep coming here looking for healthy conversation among coaches, I thought this would help. So, how many miles do you have your top, let's say 7, athletes running per week this month?

luigi-55
08-18-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm all for participating in girls team topics. No offense to the boys coaches, but most things seem to be more centered around them. We are a lower mileage group, so we just steadily move up as we go through the summer. This month my top 7-9 are probably between 32 to 40 miles a week. By the last week of August we are transitioning to a new training phase, so that more than a mileage jump helps us be ready for September racing.

Andy Knobloch
Gahr Girls CC

Matt Rainwater
08-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Andy, thanks for responding. We usually run based on minutes but my top 9-10 are in the 35-42 range. The new girls run as little as 10 miles their first week. I will hold my top girls at that range and build intensity over the next few weeks. This year we will train through our first race which is the Great Cow Run and look to focus on the Woodbridge invite.

Any other takers? This board could be great if the coaches started participating.

Matt Rainwater
Brea-Olinda Girls XC

MotelRowe
08-19-2013, 09:42 AM
My basic strategy is to leverage what talent each girl already possesses. Those with more raw 400M speed require less mileage, perhaps 30 per week. Those relying more on endurance I bump up to 35-40 miles. These are general guidelines. Under no circumstances should the mileage reach a level where progress and positive results are not evident.

Tom Putnam
San Gabriel Girls XC

Ken Sayles
08-19-2013, 10:49 AM
top 10 probably in 45-55 this week and for the next couple , having progressed from 25-35 earlier in summer
Ken Sayles
Capistrano Valley Lady Cougars

Rex Hall
08-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Lower levels as little as 20 miles per wk., up to about 35. Returning athletes from 35 to about 45. Long run of 55 min on Saturday's. Starting to bump up the hills, and just starting some longer timed intervals (5:00 - 7:00 min.) 3 mile T.T. today followed by 35 min.

Coach Rex Hall
Dana Hills Girls XC

rburrows
08-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Our top girls are around 32-40 per week, and our newer girls can be around 20ish or less depending on how they're progressing. The surrounding area around our school is very flat, so we carpool it over to a park/trail on Saturdays to get in our runs with some hills.

Anyone else have a large gap between their top girls (say the top two or three) and the rest of their girl's team? Our top two girls generally run with members of our men's team, and they're going an honest pace while training with them.

Russell Burrows
Edgewood CC