PDA

View Full Version : Pat Hadley

marinacoach
08-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Just received word that long time Valencia ( Placentia) coach Pat Hadley has died in a hiking accident in the Sierra Mountains. There are no details at this time and i'm sure Rich will have info on the front page. Pat was an amazing coach and teacher. The Valencia team hasn't been the same since she retired a few years ago. She was a joy to talk to at meets and always had a smile on her face. It is a very sad day and she will be missed! Prayers to her family!

Rich Gonzalez
08-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Will always remember her great smile and positive demeanor as well as her great care/pride for the kids she enjoyed coaching. Truly a sad day. She always had a way of making everyone feed good.

Rest in peace, Pat. God Bless.

Hal Harkness
08-23-2013, 12:29 PM
What a terrible loss! She was first rate.

Craig Dunn
08-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Coach Hadley was an amazing coach and true inspiration to all. Having the priviledge of being able to work with Tim Butler at Dana Hills, I always said that I would love to coach with the likes of Pat Hadley or Rick Hagin (El Toro) to see what they do behind the scenes. They seem to have a magical essence about them that makes their teams incredible. It takes a special person to coach high school cross country, and Coach Hadley was about as special as they come. Prayers and thoughts go out to coach Hadley's family, friends, and athletes.

Jeremy Mattern
08-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Pat was an incredibly bright and positive person. She helped me so much throughout the years, and always reminded me that coaching is about building relationships. I sincerely appreciate her being a mentor and a friend. We'd often cross baths in the canyon (Chino Hills SP) both with and without our teams. On one solo outing I remember bumping into her near Easy Street, and she shared with me that she had stepped down from coaching. She was very excited about pursuing athletic/physical challenges before she got "too old."

For the Tiger running community, please know that your coach loved you very much. She always spoke admiringly of your efforts, and she had high hopes for all of you in life. We are all so fortunate to have had her inspire us.

Matt Rainwater
08-23-2013, 02:58 PM
I can't believe that Pat is gone. Many of us got to know her over the years and she still had a lot left to give. I've done some research and it looks like she was competing in the 2013 Sierra Challenge which is a multi-day mountain climbing competition. She seems to be very well regarded and super fast (no surprise there). The inspiring thing about Pat is that she touched the lives of people from all walks of life.

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/2013-sierra-challenge-aug-16-25-t64804-90.html

Topography Map of the area she was climbing: http://sierrabackpacker.com/BaxterPass.htm

Google Maps: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=baxter%20lakes%20california&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

Tony DiMarco
08-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Pat was the person we as coaches want to be! She was kind and friendly and loved by everyone she met. She made you want to be a better person. I am sad beyond words right now and can't imagine a world without her kind and loving smile. RIP, gone but never forgotten!

Ken Sayles
08-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Up in sierras now, so sad to hear this. Pat always had a smile, always asked about others and their teams first, brought grace and kindness mixed with great
expertise and passion, what a loss

Troy Burns
08-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Over the years, we had some great competitions with Valencia and at the center of that was Coach Hadley! I can still remember them celebrating at CIF Finals in the finish area at mt sac in 2009 when they were 2nd and deservedly so, I went to congratulate them on such a great race and we shook hands and she said, you guys will be here! What a phenomenal coach!

Westlake High Cross Country offers our deepest condolences and thoughts as you deal with this loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

Much love and respect,
Troy Burns, Westlake High School

cush
08-23-2013, 08:35 PM
years ago she once asked if i'd consider applying for the job at valencia when she was initially thinking of stepping down. i told her i'd sooner follow john wooden or phil jackson, and i wasn't kidding in the least.

to paraphrase, she could take hers and beat yours and take yours and beat hers.

our team camps coincided in big bear a couple of times when i was coaching at century h.s., so i got to see firsthand her generosity in everything, especially time, energy, spirit and enthusiasm.

no disrespect meant, but i don't know a coach on this board, myself included, who hasn't been thought of as an idiot at one time or another, but NO one in the sport i know ever thought a negative thought or spoke a negative word about pat.

my heart goes out to her family, friends and colleagues, and to the athletes to whom she gave her all...

Rich Gonzalez
08-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Details on a memorial service are now posted on the mainpage.