PDA

View Full Version : SOUTHERN Section Boys Division 3 Individuals

Keith Chann
09-06-2013, 10:41 AM
I know nothing about any other section (Many might say ANY section) so this is only for the Southern Section:

Anticipated top individuals to watch for SS D3
Top tier:

Sydney Gidabuday (El Modena)- not known for cross country, he made a big impact on the track and during the summer with a 14:40 road race effort.
David Luna (Indio) - HUge breakout season during XC in 2012 and backed-up on the track.
Austin Tomagno (Brea Olinda) - If you don't know, I can't help you!

Second Tier:
Michael Teran (Jurupa Hills) - Only a sophomore last year, he realy made an impact (2nd at CIF-SS Finals) and ran excellent on the track as well
Sahm Bazargan (Oak Park) - Was part of an incredible duo last year but now has the show to himself. Will be up front for the big races.
Casey Celestin (Palos Verdes) - The latest point of the Trident.
Brennon Koryta (Brea Olinda) - The second front runner making BO so dangerous. Who wouldn't want a #2 this good!!
Luis Ramos (Rubidoux) - Really came on at the end of 2012 season to make State as an individual.

Third Tier:
Miles Irish (Palos Verdes)
Dillon Nobbs (Bonita)
Joshua Wilson (South Pasadena)
Matt Ruiz (Cathedral)
Michael Hulme (Mater Dei)
Brandon Estrada (St. John Bosco)

There are a ton of guys right behind this group and many who will jump up into the mix but this is a start!

Aztecrunner08
09-08-2013, 02:19 PM
I know nothing about any other section (Many might say ANY section) so this is only for the Southern Section:

Anticipated top individuals to watch for SS D3
Top tier:

Sydney Gidabuday (El Modena)- not known for cross country, he made a big impact on the track and during the summer with a 14:40 road race effort.
David Luna (Indio) - HUge breakout season during XC in 2012 and backed-up on the track.
Austin Tomagno (Brea Olinda) - If you don't know, I can't help you!

There are a ton of guys right behind this group and many who will jump up into the mix but this is a start!

I was very impressed with Austin's performance yesterday at the Great Cow Run. Sydney took the race out hard, and Austin was right on his shoulder. Coming through the mile mark in about 4:40 ish.

Austin Broke free and ended up running a very impressive 14:31 in hot conditions. Sydney faded into the 14:50's, and was closely followed by Gulino of Fountain Valley.

Century league in Orange County right now is arguably the toughest league in the nation. I'm predicting the winning time to be around 14:10-14:20 for the fast three mile course.

Garret Corcoran 12th is the defending leauge champ. He also is the Co-Course Record holder running 14:29 last Fall. He ran 4:10 for the 1600 this past spring. Austin Tamagno, just a sophomore with 4:09 1600m credentials, just ran 14:31 on a hot day, on a much slower course than Yorba Regional Park's 95% asphault course.
Sydney Gidabuday 12th, a CIF Champion and CIF Runnerup this past Spring, has run 4:12 and 9:06 for the 1600 and 3200.
Brennan Koryta 12th 4:13
Wes Welsh 11th 4:22/9:28

Both Brea and Canyon are ranked in the nation, I think El Modena is a little under-ranked. They have a lot of young talent.
And word on the street is that El Dorado has a handful of varsity level freshmen. (maybe 4) can anyone confirm?

Rich Gonzalez
09-08-2013, 03:26 PM
I was very impressed with Austin's performance yesterday at the Great Cow Run. Sydney took the race out hard, and Austin was right on his shoulder. Coming through the mile mark in about 4:40 ish.

Austin Broke free and ended up running a very impressive 14:31 in hot conditions. Sydney faded into the 14:50's, and was closely followed by Gulino of Fountain Valley.

Century league in Orange County right now is arguably the toughest league in the nation. I'm predicting the winning time to be around 14:10-14:20 for the fast three mile course.

Garret Corcoran 12th is the defending leauge champ. He also is the Co-Course Record holder running 14:29 last Fall. He ran 4:10 for the 1600 this past spring. Austin Tamagno, just a sophomore with 4:09 1600m credentials, just ran 14:31 on a hot day, on a much slower course than Yorba Regional Park's 95% asphault course.
Sydney Gidabuday 12th, a CIF Champion and CIF Runnerup this past Spring, has run 4:12 and 9:06 for the 1600 and 3200.
Brennan Koryta 12th 4:13
Wes Welsh 11th 4:22/9:28

Both Brea and Canyon are ranked in the nation, I think El Modena is a little under-ranked. They have a lot of young talent.
And word on the street is that El Dorado has a handful of varsity level freshmen. (maybe 4) can anyone confirm?

Austin's riding a high right now, which is great to see. One might see Sydney begin to adapt more in his racing style as he goes along (didn't run xc last year) and improve from there. While the Century League is strong in terms of teams, I wouldn't put it among the top ten leagues in the nation. By the way, the Pacific League appears to be stronger and deeper than the Century League as Arcadia, Crescenta Valley, Burbank and Burroughs are all quite tough. Locally, I'd also put the Marmonte League ahead of the Century, with three other Southland leagues in the ballpark of Century. There are a few pretty darn good ones across state lines too.

Regarding El Dorado, they competed at the Bronco Invitational at Cal Poly Pomona this weekend. Unless they sat out several,their frosh class might be promising, but maybe not extraordinary. Also, "varsity-level freshmen" is a relative term. A school that might not be too powerful might find a few freshmen on its varsity roster (still pretty rare), but on a tougher team in the same league, there's a chance not one would be on varsity. That's not knocking El Dorado -- just stating a different perspective. Here's the link to El Dorado's results at Bronco. By the way, Burroughs -- the projected #4 team in the Pacific League -- scored just 21 points to win going away. http://www.prepcaltrack.com/2013/09/07/cal-poly-pomona-bronco-invitational-ss/

Aztecrunner08
09-08-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm marveling at the individual level of talent seen among the Century League runners. While the century league does have some highly competitive teams, I recognize the fact that there are stronger leagues elsewhere in the nation as well as in Southern California.

But how many other leagues have 4 runners with 4:09-4:13 1600 speed? It's going to be exciting to watch.