PDA

View Full Version : Cross Country Invites

Mark Gardner
10-02-2013, 08:50 PM
After attending a number of invites over the past 17 seasons, I was always curious to what else is out there...

We attended the Laguna Hills Invite this season and were pleasantly impressed. We have attended Fastback, Seaside, Morro Bay, Mt. Carmel, Woodbridge/Estancia XC Classic, Hi-Desert Classic, Inland Empire Championships, Kenny Staub, Clovis, Mt. SAC in the past.....

Coaches - what do you feel are the greatest attributes of a great Cross Country Invitational? I've always appreciated how Cross Country invites allow every kid to compete and for a reasonable price ($250-$350). Several of you have gone out of state, some of you up north,....

In trying to resuscitate this message board.... what are some of the best invites in California? Why? What do they offer that others do not?

CoachB03
10-03-2013, 05:41 AM
Let me suggest a few Nor-Cal options that meet your criteria.
1. Lowell Invitational in Golden Gate Park. Good Meet, solid competition, cool weather, fun course. No problem getting everyone in, though the price tag can get up there if you bring a horde of kids.
2. For a little shameless (I really have no shame) self promotion, let me suggest the Hughson Supercross (http://www.hughsonsupercross.blogspot.com). Fun course, spectator friendly, music, mud, premes (as in cycling criteriums).
3. Artichoke Invite in Half Moon Bay. Short Course with a monster of a hill. Small Schools in the morning, large schools in the afternoon. Solid competition. Used to conflict with Stanford but is now after Stanford and before Clovis.

JStepp
10-03-2013, 07:46 PM
After attending a number of invites over the past 17 seasons, I was always curious to what else is out there...

We attended the Laguna Hills Invite this season and were pleasantly impressed. We have attended Fastback, Seaside, Morro Bay, Mt. Carmel, Woodbridge/Estancia XC Classic, Hi-Desert Classic, Inland Empire Championships, Kenny Staub, Clovis, Mt. SAC in the past.....

Coaches - what do you feel are the greatest attributes of a great Cross Country Invitational? I've always appreciated how Cross Country invites allow every kid to compete and for a reasonable price ($250-$350). Several of you have gone out of state, some of you up north,....

In trying to resuscitate this message board.... what are some of the best invites in California? Why? What do they offer that others do not?

The only one you need to concern yourself with, is the HDC in the YV! Enough said.

xcbreak
10-08-2013, 06:00 AM
Let me suggest a few Nor-Cal options that meet your criteria.
1. Lowell Invitational in Golden Gate Park. Good Meet, solid competition, cool weather, fun course. No problem getting everyone in, though the price tag can get up there if you bring a horde of kids.
2. For a little shameless (I really have no shame) self promotion, let me suggest the Hughson Supercross (http://www.hughsonsupercross.blogspot.com). Fun course, spectator friendly, music, mud, premes (as in cycling criteriums).
3. Artichoke Invite in Half Moon Bay. Short Course with a monster of a hill. Small Schools in the morning, large schools in the afternoon. Solid competition. Used to conflict with Stanford but is now after Stanford and before Clovis.

We are looking at going to the Lowell Invite next year, does anyone have any contact info for this Invite

Rich Gonzalez
10-08-2013, 08:10 AM
We are looking at going to the Lowell Invite next year, does anyone have any contact info for this Invite

Scott,

Your man is Andy Leong. He can be reached at coachaleong@hotmail.com

Good luck!

Rich

Rich Morales
10-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Well Mark,
It will come as no surprise that I am partial to the Inland Empire Challenge. Since its inception, Terry Tierney, Jeff Swigart, and I wanted an invitational that would focus on the athletes and not as a fund-raiser. The Inland Empire was beginning to develop some outstanding programs in 2001, 2002, 2003... (Don Lugo, Murrieta Valley, Rancho Cucamonga, Upland, etc.) and we wanted a venue that would highlight the runners and provide a spectator friendly, a fast course, and a memorable event for Cross Country fans. Using Doug Padilla's runnercard system also gave us a unique timing system that gave each runner a personalized results card where they could see how they placed and how they contributed to their teams scoring.
And of course we wanted to award meaningful medals commensurate with the size of the meet. By giving out patches and/or trophies to the top 7 runners by gender, class, grade, and county we had a chance recognize the stars and future stars of the I.E.

Brad Peters
10-19-2013, 06:16 PM
I concur on Lowell. Fun event, Andy does a great job of organizing it and you simply can't beat running in the Golden Gate park with all that glorious SF weather. Pricey to get there of course, but, wow!
Clovis! Love it.
Mt. Carmel - best grade level meet in CA in my humble opinion.