PDA

View Full Version : Inland Empire Championships Boys preview

Keith Chann
10-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Here is my take on the Riverside County vs San Brenardino County showdown this Saturday at Glen Helen Park.
Boys only, I don't have a girls squad worthy so I have no clue about that race.

Top individuals for IEC:
Josh Silva (Corona) 14:55 @ Woodbridge, Beat Mullenix @ Laguna Hills
Brandon Randall (Roosevelt) Won Big 8 meet, 9:44 at Fastback, Ranked #8 in State D1
Kyle Brown (Elsinore) 16:00 at Stanford
Robbie Gleeson (Great Oak) 14:51 @ Woodbridge, 9:51 @ Fastback
Tony Robinson (Great Oak) 14:53 @ Woodbridge, 9:52 @ Fastback
Hector Hernandez (Canyon Springs) 9:43 @ Fastback, Ranked #3 in State D2
Mat Holton (Rancho Cucamonga) 15:35 @ Stanford
Luis Ramos (Rubidoux) 15:40 @ Lancer Classic 5K, 9:57 @ Fastback
Garret Mullenix (Vista Murrieta) Won Southwestern League meet #1, 15:55 @ Mt. Carmel
David Luna (Indio) 14:25 @ Woodbridge, Ranked #5 in State D3
Emery Castor (XCP) 15:41 @ Mt. Carmel, Ranked #4 in State D4
Caleb Webb (Big Bear) 14:10 @ Woodbridge for 5th fastest overall, Ranked #1 in State D4

Webb should be the favorite to win after his performance at Woodbridge but Hernandez has been running great this season. Randall, Luna and Holton should be in the mix as well. Ramos is improving and can run with the top group. If Silva is healthy he can run with the front as well. Gleeson can be a factor in the front group as well but might be a shade behind this top group. There will be some others who try to stick with this front group but not too many will succeed. Castor is the best of the rest but I am not sure he is in the front group to the end.

Top Teams
Riverside County will be well represented in the meet as teams ranked #1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 and 10 in the County will be racing. San Bernardino County will be short-handed as the top 4 teams in the county are not entered.
Great Oak Riv Co #1, The top team in the Inland Empire should win here if all their guns are racing (All but Robinson are entered in sweeps race).
Corona Riv Co #3, needs to have Silva healthy to compete for the top spot but will not be racing at full strength here.
Vista Murrieta - Riv Co #4, Looked a little vulnerable lately but only to the very top teams. Should challenge for the title but need to pack up.
Rubidoux - Riv Co #5, Good front runner in Ramos but not very deep. Number 3 runner still trying to come back from shin problems and needs to find a 5th scorer but might be able to challenge for top 3.
Rancho Cucamonga SB Co #7, Usually a very strong team but having a little bit of a down year for them. Holton provides a strong #1 with Ortega giving a very solid #2 but the rest of the scorers are a bit too far back for a podium spot.
La Sierra - Riv Co #6, Had breakout performance at Lancer Classic but might have a more difficult time with this quality field.
Etiwanda SB Co #5, Just edged Rancho Cucamonga for 2nd at league with a strong group but lack a true front runner with a low score to be at the top in an invitational this strong.
Roosevelt - Riv Co #8, Strong performance at Brea Inv. Without frontrunner Randall and will be looking for a top 3 performance. Needs to have the back end scorers step up to get a plaque.
Serrano SB Co #6, A very strong pack but will need to have that pack closer to the front to make big waves in this field.

phildampier
10-09-2013, 12:11 PM
I couldn't find the entries. Normally you can see them as people add them.

Keith Chann
10-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Phil,
RunnerCard used to show all the entries as you mentioned but this year I could not get that info. I just went by the teams that were listed on the InlandEmpireChallenge.com website and contact with a few other coaches. For the individuals, I just used my own research to give some info about the top athletes. I am sure that I missed a few but it is at least a start.

Rich Morales
10-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Hi all,
Check www.inlandempirechallenge.com, the home page. Underneath the schools entered there is a link to a PDF showing all of the Varsity runners entered in each event. I'm sure this will help you to see who's running where.
By the by, Caleb Webb will be sitting out this race. To the best of my knowledge all of the other entries will be as shown.

If anyone feels that they would like to see all 2,700 plus runners entered, please let me know. :)

Rich Morales
10-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Actually, I used to copy and paste the entire registration to the old website. If you would like see that feature, again, let me know.

phildampier
10-10-2013, 06:38 AM
The varsity link is good. I didn't see that earlier. Thank you.

Rich Morales
10-10-2013, 05:17 PM
:cool:

Tim Wood
10-11-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm planning to head out to the races and shoot as many as I can. I'll upload them to Prepcaltrack.com as soon as I can (likely Monday).

Quick question as I've not been to this meet before. It looks as though the races overlap ala Mt SAC Invite. Are the bibs color-coded? My priority is to shoot the sweepstake races - anyone know the color of the bibs or how else to quickly identify them on the course (other than they are going very fast)? My glance at the course map suggests that my best photo ops are somewhere near mile 2.5 (where they head East into the sun).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
--Tim Wood

Keith Chann
10-11-2013, 12:36 PM
I don't know about the bib colors but as far as taking pictures:
They do the beginning loop twice and then head off to the lower loop. You can get good pictures at the first mile and then head about 200m away to get them coming up the finish road hill before the final grass straight. You would not have to move too much to get the runners multiple times. If you go down to the bottom of the course near the 2.5 mile mark, it would be tougher to get to multiple locations during the race.
The races alternate girls/boys so it is relatively easy to keep track. The schedule allows for the sweeps race to be the only ones on the course during that stretch.

Tim Wood
10-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks so much for the insights. I appreciate it. Depending on the morning light, I might do what you suggest for the sweepstake races and then stay in one spot for the other races (unless the morning light at the 2.5 mile spot is so compelling). Thanks for pointing out that sweepstake races don't overlap - I didn't catch that prior.

One challenge for me is the more photos I take, the more I have to post-process. I prefer one good image of a runner to several so-so shots.

Thanks again.

--Tim Wood

Rich Morales
10-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Keith, thanks for your input. Couldn't said it better myself. Tierney and I made some minor course changes today that should make for a more "scenic" route and thus some interesting photos. I hope the coaches like the changes.
Tim, thanks for taking the time to come out to our neck of the woods. We're hoping that everything goes as we have planned. When I designed the course originally, the concerns we had were: Spectator friendly, Flat and as fast as possible, focus on the athletes.

hopefully we will meet those expectations.