PDA

View Full Version : Mt SAC D3 boys

Keith Chann
10-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Here is a quick look, from my view, of the Mt. SAC D3 Boys Sweepstakes race this Friday.
6 of the top 8 teams from the latest PrepCalTrack State rankings will be competing: Brea Olinda, Del Norte, St. John Bosco, Jurupa Hills, Rubidoux, San Marcos.
8 of the top 11 individuals from the latest PrepCalTrack State rankings will be competing: Tamagno, Gidabuday, Huxham, Luna, Gonzalez, Gaskell, Teran, Ramos.
My analysis:
The top dog: Brea Olinda is coming off of a huge win at Orange County Championships and will be a big favorite. Their top 5 is really strong and they have the favorite for the Individual state title in Tamagno. This meet should be a solid win for this group as they continue their run towards a potential State Championship and possible spot at NXN. (Sorry Jeremy, no pressure!)

Looking for a podium finish: Del Norte got the better of St. John Bosco at Clovis and will look to repeat the performance in a tougher field. The strength of the field should help Del Norte’s tighter pack here as their 4th and 5th were significantly ahead of the same spots for SJB. Jurupa Hills has not raced very much this season but their expected depth is a bit off this season. JH did however, easily handle #7 Rubidoux in their league meet and should be pushing for a repeat top 3 finish here after getting 3rd last year.

The next tier: Rubidoux has been moving steadily up throughout the season but is probably a notch below the front 4 teams at this point. They (We) should be battling with San Marcos and Cathedral for a top 5 finish but are lacking a solid #3 runner. San Marcos has been running well but in meets that are tougher to gauge. After being beaten in their league meet by Ventura, SM came back and beat them handily at an invitational shortly after. San Marcos is a very tough team for me to get a true read, because of my lack of familiarity with their courses, but certainly a contender here.

Other Contenders: El Modena has a chance to be dangerous but needs to be more than just Gidabuday, Villela and then a gap. Orange Lutheran has been ranked previously but is a bit behind the previous group although they have a small scoring gap. University City out of San Diego is making the trip to test itself with the bigger dogs and could surprise here. Indio ran well at Inland Empire Championships and is coming strong but needs solid #4 and #5 scorers.

Prediction:
1) Brea Olinda
2) Jurupa Hills
3) Del Norte
4) St. John Bosco
5) Rubidoux
6) San Marcos
7) Cathedral
8) Orange Lutheran
9) El Modena
10) Indio

Jeremy Mattern
10-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the pressure, Keith, but the good news is, I don't have to run a single step for Brea, so there's not too much pressure on me :)

Your prediction looks solid. Can we just use that prediction for actual results? Oh, and can we just say that the results count for the state meet? Do not consult Brian on my question, he will insist PV be included. Those kids already live near the beach, do they really need another trophy to gaze upon when they have the Pacific?

Keith Chann
10-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I wasn't too far off. Nailed 1st and 2nd. If I am going to be wrong about my team I am glad it was in the correct direction! Del Norte was a bit off and El Modena was about what I expected.
As long as Brian will take 4th we can just go with the results from last night all the way through State!

Brian Shapiro
10-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Didn't you guys hear, all the times were off? Everybody in the sweeps race was actually 30 seconds slower than the posted results!

But seriously, nice racing by everyone, especially those Brea boys.

TheBread'n'Butter
11-13-2013, 04:19 PM
This was a very good prediction sheet! Some were off but you can never really tell the future right. I think the biggest surprise here was University City. They were ranked 2nd to last coming into this race and ended up 10th. I watched the race and thought they ran it pretty amazingly with the exception of their 1-2 gap. Del Norte just beat them out here, however, University City's 6th man did beat Del Norte's 5th man. The San Diego CIF D3 is going to be really close this year because it seems like these two teams are really even. I can see University City as a Dark Horse at state and doing some real damage, if they make it.