PDA

View Full Version : 2014 or 2015 CIF-SS Cross Country Prelims and Finals

Matt Rainwater
10-23-2013, 08:15 AM
I'm sure most of you received the same email that I copied below. What are your thoughts about possible alternatives to Mt. SAC? I personally would like to see a more centrally located course so we don't have schools like Paso Robles having to drive 220+ miles in consecutive weeks. Contrary to what I just said, it would be cool to race in SLO or Mammoth (if that's in the southern section).

CIF-SS Cross Country Coaches:

There is a chance that Mt.SAC will be under construction during the 2014 or 2015 Cross Country Prelims and Finals. If this happens, we would not be able to use their Cross Country course. Nothing is definite as yet, but we are making preliminary inquiries to you as to possible venues in which to hold our two events, if and when the construction does occur there.
We are ideally looking for a place that can be secured for admission, has adequate parking space and is the kind of course we would expect for a championship event. If you have a suggestion please forward those on to me at the CIF-SS Office.
Bob McGuire will be at the Mt.SAC meet this weekend, if you would like to share your ideas with him as well.
We want to get ahead of this so that we have a direction to move in for our events, once the construction schedule is finalized.

Sincerely,
Rainer Wulf
CIF-SS

rburrows
10-23-2013, 08:51 AM
The Fairbanks course in SLO would be rad to race on. It is one of the most "true" cross country courses in the southern half of California (there is only a small stretch of concrete to run).

Even racing on a course somewhere in Ventura County would work.

Tim Wood
10-23-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm not a coach, but am an avid fan. Two comments:
1) Irvine Regional Park is a beautiful place to race, but the parking is horrendous.
2) Glen Helen is another idea - further away for the schools up north, but great parking

Doug Soles
10-23-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm not a coach, but am an avid fan. Two comments:
1) Irvine Regional Park is a beautiful place to race, but the parking is horrendous.
2) Glen Helen is another idea - further away for the schools up north, but great parking

The most important thing to CIF is going to be revenue, so if it isn't a fenced in contained course, scratch it off the list...

-Glen Helen would work and people would have to pay to come in at one of the gates. Lots of parking. No real hills, but a decent course.

-I would give pause to any course that is used by teams 2-3 times a year every year (Invite, league meets, league finals, etc.) as that could give teams a huge advantage (see Irvine Regional). Not sure how they would collect the money for coming in there, is it fenced all the way around?

-Central Park's course in Saugus was great but again not sure if you can close it off enough (or get it for a day or 2 from soccer...)

-Yucaipa's course is probably the closest to Mt. SAC and could be a closed venue, although it has a lot of hills and would probably be one of the tougher ones. I'm sure the Yucaipa invite would have a lot more teams going to it next year if it was hosting CIF...

-Estancia High School could fit the bill, although it is obviously flat and fast and parking can be tough...

I think the course should be the same both weeks so teams get a chance to get familiar with it. I think it needs to be close to the majority of the teams for financial reasons (gas, busing, etc.). SLO, Mammoth, etc. are way too far away, besides you can't put something like elevation into a championship event when very few teams train for that (although hay bales and mud and whoopdeedo's would make sense for a championship event, right?).

Just some thoughts. :)

Doug

yesstiles
10-23-2013, 11:49 AM
This would be horrible if we had to move. I love tradition. What on earth could close the course for that length of time? Can't they just do the construction the first 2/3 of the year when the course isn't needed by anyone?

Keith Chann
10-23-2013, 12:37 PM
The college is undergoing a huge capitol improvement plan that includes complete re-working the area around the stadium. I have heard that they are removing the hill behind/under the home side bleachers, raising the area that the team tents are in, reconfiguring the whole stadium and building several new buildings for the PE/athletics department. This will potentially take several years and the Mt. SAC Cross Country Invitational and the Mt. SAC relays are not higher priorities than the college improvements, at least to them. They also plan to apply to host the USATF track and field championships at Mt SAC, potentially moving them from Oregon.

lbxcart
10-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Yep that would be a reason to shut down the course for 1-2 years. It would be really cool to have the USATF nationals in southern California one in a while (from what I can recall other recent venues include U of Oregon, Indianapolis, Sacramento). It would be really cool if the stadium could max out around 60,000 so they could apply for the IAAF world champions as well!

yesstiles
10-23-2013, 07:07 PM
The college is undergoing a huge capitol improvement plan that includes complete re-working the area around the stadium. I have heard that they are removing the hill behind/under the home side bleachers, raising the area that the team tents are in, reconfiguring the whole stadium and building several new buildings for the PE/athletics department. This will potentially take several years and the Mt. SAC Cross Country Invitational and the Mt. SAC relays are not higher priorities than the college improvements, at least to them. They also plan to apply to host the USATF track and field championships at Mt SAC, potentially moving them from Oregon.

Holy cow. How would that affect the actual Mt. Sac XC Invitational? It wouldn't exist for 1-2 years?

RichEde
10-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Diamond Valley Lake in Hemet has been suggested. Any thoughts there?

RichEde
10-25-2013, 02:30 PM
According to the college's representatives, preserving the XC course is a priority AFTER the end of construction.