PDA

View Full Version : Hard Training and Inconsistant Results

CoachB03
11-01-2013, 01:04 PM
In years when my teams have done less race pace work (ie, 6x1k at 5k pace with 2 min recovery), we have been able to race consistantly. When we do more work like this, we seem to get some spectacular results but some epic flame outs as well. It also seems like it is harder to get all of the kids to have good races on the same day when we do too much hard training.

With my varsity crew, we've had some tremendous PRs and we are much faster overall than we've been in the past, but we've also been really up and down.

I'm thinking about switching up my training protocol to include more steady state and tempo running. When we do the typical VO2 max type work, it will likely be lower volume and more rest.

Thoughts?

George Ramos
11-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Might be a sequencing issue rather than a volume issue ... this article (http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/how-long-does-it-take-benefit-hard-workout?page=single) really helped us a lot.

PS: We consider a race to be a VO2 workout, so we try not to schedule an interval workout within five days of a race. Best of luck!

CoachB03
11-03-2013, 01:49 PM
That's a good article, thanks!

Keith Chann
11-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Very good thread. I read it a few days ago and it has taken me this long to come up with an adequate response. If I was a good coach I would know!
In the early part of the season, the summer and the first few meets, I have workouts (5-6 x a loop of about 4 minutes) on Thursdays. This gives the kids some tired legs on Saturday races or for the long Saturday runs. Later in the season I move the workouts to Wednesdays because it gives them an extra recovery day.

We now (I changed quite a bit this year and we are still seeing how it plays out) typically do hills on Monday and some type of "speed" workout on Thursdays for the early part of the year. Once we start racing on Saturdays, I move the long run to Mondays and basically eliminate the hill workouts but keep the "speed" workouts on Thursdays. Eventually I move the speed to Wednesdays and try to mix in some hill workouts if we don't have Saturday meets. I consider meets as tempo runs and adjust the weekly schedule accordingly. We try to avoid Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday meets (3 races in 8 days) with one early season exception but the last meet is more low-key and just treated as a fun day when we get to do a 3 mile tempo with other teams around.

I don't worry too much, OK not at all, about hitting a certain pace on the speed work. We have a few specific workouts that we do regularly and thus they know what kind of times are good for that course/loop. I am sure that I could get more scientific but I coach more artistically I guess.

Hope this helps a little. Take it for what it is worth from a coach who is still trying to figure it out.