PDA

View Full Version : Wild life while running trails

Leo Hernnandez
01-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Just out of curiosity how many of you or your runners or runners you may know have had a close encounter with wild life on your local trails? In High School for me between 1986-1990 I saw a 3 bobcats in sycamore canyon, which is just past point Mugu north of Santa Monica Mountains. While running at CSUN 1990-94 I have seen Bobcats and rattle snakes on my way to three trees trail. Recently in canyon country I came across two diamond back rattle snakes at two different times. I yet have to come a cross a mountain lion. So what have you guys seen out there.

rburrows
01-08-2014, 09:29 AM
In 10 years of running on trails, I've has a majority of my run-ins be with snakes and deer. My most memorable wildlife run-in was with a giant tortoise that was roaming outside of its yard area. We met eye to eye in a bushy area as I was trying to maneuver around a stream.

Now that I've been coaching for two years at the HS level at a school which is not situated near any local trails, it seems that I have had more run-ins with animals than I've ever had before. But all of those run-ins have been with dogs that hold a strong dislike for me and our runners.

Jeremy Mattern
01-08-2014, 03:33 PM
On the local trails in Brea we have our share of coyotes, rattlesnakes, and bobcats. The real danger, however, lurks on the streets: beware of candy-gram delivering Land Sharks.

Coach BL
01-09-2014, 10:18 AM
On the local trails in Brea we have our share of coyotes, rattlesnakes, and bobcats. The real danger, however, lurks on the streets: beware of candy-gram delivering Land Sharks.

Hey Coach Mattern, what about those big black tarantulas on the trails in September?
As a LA Kings fan living in north OC, when I am on the road I watch out for Ducks !

CoachB03
01-10-2014, 08:30 PM
I had a face to face with a mountain lion. Came around a bend in a trail on an early morning run above Sonora, Ca and the big cat was on the trail with his face in the creek right next to it getting a drink. I spooked him and he bounded off into the woods. The rest of that run was scary as hell.

Jeremy Mattern
01-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Hey Coach Mattern, what about those big black tarantulas on the trails in September?
As a LA Kings fan living in north OC, when I am on the road I watch out for Ducks !

Surprisingly, I have only seen a few tarantulas over the years out in the canyon. Sorry about the Ducks. Some of them don't know when to retire.