PDA

View Full Version : Clarification

Craig Dunn
05-14-2014, 07:05 AM
I know that the CIF Bulletin reads that in the field events, only 9 advance from Prelims to Finals. From Finals to Masters it's 12 plus any that tie the 12th place qualifier. I know that in the past for prelims, some Divisions have taken all that tie for 9th place. I would like clarification so that ALL divisions are on the same page.

Thanks,

Craig Dunn

Doug Soles
05-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Amen to that!

Hal Harkness
05-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Nine only advance from the prelims, all ties need to be broken.

yesstiles
05-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Why do 9 advance from prelims, but 12 advance from finals? Why not 12 for both meets? Very strange.

Keith Chann
05-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Advancing from prelims gets you to finals. Finals is a team scored event. The lane races can only hold 9 competitors so the other events can only take a maximum of 9 athletes to be equitable. Advancing from Finals gets you to the Master's meet. The Master's meet is not a scored meet. It is merely to determine advancement to the State Championships so it does not matter if the non-lane events get more entries because no points are involved.

yesstiles
05-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Advancing from prelims gets you to finals. Finals is a team scored event. The lane races can only hold 9 competitors so the other events can only take a maximum of 9 athletes to be equitable. Advancing from Finals gets you to the Master's meet. The Master's meet is not a scored meet. It is merely to determine advancement to the State Championships so it does not matter if the non-lane events get more entries because no points are involved.

Ah, okay. I never thought of that. I guess it doesn't help that I've never considered track a team sport anyway. Cross country is a team sport, but track is an individual sport imo.

Although when I coached in CCS, they advanced 12 in the distance events from CIF Prelims to CIF Finals, and only 9 in the laned events. Wonder why it's okay in that section?

Hal Harkness
05-15-2014, 02:14 AM
Team scoring is the key issue as Keith correctly stated.

botakatobi
05-15-2014, 05:54 AM
Ah, okay. I never thought of that. I guess it doesn't help that I've never considered track a team sport anyway. Cross country is a team sport, but track is an individual sport imo.

Although when I coached in CCS, they advanced 12 in the distance events from CIF Prelims to CIF Finals, and only 9 in the laned events. Wonder why it's okay in that section?

Attend a NCAA Championship or similar NCAA conference championship meet and you will see how important it is to win a team championship in track and field.

yesstiles
05-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Attend a NCAA Championship or similar NCAA conference championship meet and you will see how important it is to win a team championship in track and field.

I have and it's nothing like the team atmosphere needed and felt in cross country imo. A shot putter and a 3200 runner have virtually nothing in common, so it's hard to think of them as working together. Although watching the "Prefontaine" movie may make you think otherwise! :cool: IIRC, there have been California State Track Team Champions won by schools with only two athletes entered. Hardly a team.

JStepp
05-15-2014, 09:09 AM
there have been California State Track Team Champions won by schools with only two athletes entered. Hardly a team.

La Sierra for one. No disrespect to Wil Jabcobsmeyer (Reggie's only coach), but they won on him winning his 2 races, scoring 20 pts.

bbrierly
05-15-2014, 10:51 AM
I understand the scoring aspect as well. But at the same time, most League Prelims and Finals are also scored, and yet typically in the distance races you still take 12 to the finals. If the idea is that this is about the kids, why would letting a few more advance in the areas (field and distance) where it is safe to do so be a bad thing?

yesstiles
05-15-2014, 09:02 PM
I understand the scoring aspect as well. But at the same time, most League Prelims and Finals are also scored, and yet typically in the distance races you still take 12 to the finals. If the idea is that this is about the kids, why would letting a few more advance in the areas (field and distance) where it is safe to do so be a bad thing?

Exactly. And that's why it's being done in other CIF sections.