PDA

View Full Version : Records

trkcoach53
05-31-2014, 12:37 PM
I noticed last night that the Cerritos College track did not have rails, only cones set out to mark the inside lanes. If a 3200 record time would have been run last night, could it have been a record since there were no rails?

:cool:

Hal Harkness
05-31-2014, 02:07 PM
NFHS rules do not specify that a track have a curb for record purposes. The book only says a survey certification shows the track meets all NFHS rules. The simple answer is that we will insist the curb be in place if the SS is at Cerritos College in 2015. That removes any uncertainty.

hanklaw
05-31-2014, 07:23 PM
NFHS rules do not specify that a track have a curb for record purposes. The book only says a survey certification shows the track meets all NFHS rules. The simple answer is that we will insist the curb be in place if the SS is at Cerritos College in 2015. That removes any uncertainty.

Hal
But what about other Sections? The question was, would it DQ records? I've always understood that there had to be a "marked barrier" or records wouldn't count. I did not understand that to mean that a "metal railing" had to be in place. Are cones not appropriate? A railing is an $7K+ expenditure at a minimum.

hank

Hal Harkness
05-31-2014, 08:05 PM
Hank,

The problem potentially is with the radius of the turns. If it was designed without a curb and is 8" into lane one everything is OK. The Cerritos situation is different as the radius was measured for a curb and is 12" out in lane one. Even though there are cones on the inside line, there is a greater potential that runners will drift closer to the lane than they would if a curb were present. The NFHS book doesn't directly deal with that issue. I can find no reference to a "marked barrier" anywhere in the Rule or Case Books.

hanklaw
06-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Hank,

The problem potentially is with the radius of the turns. If it was designed without a curb and is 8" into lane one everything is OK. The Cerritos situation is different as the radius was measured for a curb and is 12" out in lane one. Even though there are cones on the inside line, there is a greater potential that runners will drift closer to the lane than they would if a curb were present. The NFHS book doesn't directly deal with that issue. I can find no reference to a "marked barrier" anywhere in the Rule or Case Books.

Hal
Thanks for the response. Guess I need to find out then (from the track designers...?) if they were designing with a curb in mind or without (my guess and hope that it was without since a curb is an additional expense and I know high schools were trying to keep the price down). The "marked Barrier" statement was my verbage and not a real quote from any rule book. So I guess it could even be soda cans as long as there is something and as long as the track was designed with the 8" in mind.

hank

RichEde
06-05-2014, 01:13 PM
A quick way to see if your track is measured for a curb or not is to look at the 400 meter staggers. On a track measured for no curb, the stagger for lane 2 over lane 1 will be approximately the same as that for lane 3 over lane 2 (they'll be off slightly since lane 2 has already used up part of the curve). If the first stagger is significantly less (20" or so), then the track was measured for a curb. That is, of course, assuming whoever actually marked the track actually measured it.