PDA

View Full Version : CA State Meet - 100F

yesstiles
06-02-2014, 08:13 AM
Can someone tell me why we have a State Meet that is routinely 100F at race time? The forecast this saturday also calls for 100F temps.

If they want the meet to be centrally located, then why not put it at Cal Poly SLO or somewhere similar?

Coach Razor
06-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Coach, I'm with ya.... But I also know that I've not gotten much traction when I've discussed it with folks... It would seem the view is that 13 outta 16 events are fine with the conditions. My thought has been to at least start later as they do in other warm weather states like AZ & the like... *sigh*

Keith Chann
06-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Money

Brian Shapiro
06-02-2014, 10:50 AM
What Keith said. XC, Track, and now swimming, all with multi-year contracts with CIF to stay in Fresno.

http://swimswam.com/fresno-bee-clovis-west-high-host-first-three-california-state-championship-meets/

cush
06-02-2014, 11:30 AM
What Keith said. XC, Track, and now swimming, all with multi-year contracts with CIF to stay in Fresno.

http://swimswam.com/fresno-bee-clovis-west-high-host-first-three-california-state-championship-meets/

as stated, it's about money, and the bid process is like any other--fresno threw the most money at cif for the next few years.

that said, i think too much is made of the heat. even 3200m runners shouldn't struggle too much in races less than 11 minutes long. people doubling in the 16/8 or 16/32 will probably struggle with recovery, meaning haney better count on being that much better than everyone else, as well as his ability to control the race (will everyone in the 3200m defer to him or be intimidated?). however, if i understood andrew kastor's talk in mammoth correctly, the heat can be a huge minus for athletes coming from altitude, so this makes yesstiles' complaint more justified. apparently the thicker blood dissipates heat more slowly, making it easier to overheat. in a perfect world, webb would want to spend the next week at sea level. maybe you can rent a "reverse altitude/sea level tent?"

good luck to everyone's athletes,
cush

yesstiles
06-02-2014, 01:29 PM
as stated, it's about money, and the bid process is like any other--fresno threw the most money at cif for the next few years.

that said, i think too much is made of the heat. even 3200m runners shouldn't struggle too much in races less than 11 minutes long. people doubling in the 16/8 or 16/32 will probably struggle with recovery, meaning haney better count on being that much better than everyone else, as well as his ability to control the race (will everyone in the 3200m defer to him or be intimidated?). however, if i understood andrew kastor's talk in mammoth correctly, the heat can be a huge minus for athletes coming from altitude, so this makes yesstiles' complaint more justified. apparently the thicker blood dissipates heat more slowly, making it easier to overheat. in a perfect world, webb would want to spend the next week at sea level. maybe you can rent a "reverse altitude/sea level tent?"

good luck to everyone's athletes,
cush

That's right cush. I've found that my athletes are at a huge disadvantage when we come down to hot weather: one because of the reason you cited, two because it's so cool up here where we live and train. My kids run with their shirts off if it's over 40F and think 60F is "too hot!"

Luckliy, Caleb deals with heat better than anyone here.

But I was actually thinking more about fast times at the State Meet. Who wants to see slow times produced by hot weather? Blah.

yesstiles
06-14-2014, 09:07 PM
i think too much is made of the heat. even 3200m runners shouldn't struggle too much in races less than 11 minutes long.

If I recall Joe Vigil's discussion correctly, he thinks it's about 8 minutes; that races under 8 minutes in duration aren't adversely affected by high temperatures. The farther away from 8 min a race goes however, the more the heat will negatively impact a competitor. Judging by most cross country races I've seen in hot conditions though, 11 minutes may be about right.