PDA

View Full Version : track striping

Walt Lange
04-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Jesuit HS Sacramento is getting its first all-weather track. Had a meeting with the design guy today and still have time to make additions/corrections.

Anyone out there been down this road and have items they wished they had included?

We've included a front alley for the distance events (including the 3k). We're considering a yellow line (instead of white) marking the inside of the front alley until the break line.

Ideas? Anyone? Anyone?

CoachMedellin
04-07-2015, 09:49 PM
Measurements on the runways of the LJ, TJ and PV. So you don't need a tape measure.

I have steeplechase barriers markings. We also have 400m hurdle markings.

Hope this helps!

Walt Lange
04-08-2015, 07:48 AM
We have the runways and 400H covered. Also some hash marks 3 meters before the distance events starts.

We're having some discussion about the idea of a yellow line (instead of white) for the inside of the front alley through the turn to the break line. Idea is that no cones would need to be set up. There is some concern that the 400 runners in lane 5 would find the change in color confusing as they go around the track.

We're open to ideas and don't want to be in the position after the track is done, where we're saying "if only we had..."

--Walt

Measurements on the runways of the LJ, TJ and PV. So you don't need a tape measure.

I have steeplechase barriers markings. We also have 400m hurdle markings.

Hope this helps!

cush
04-08-2015, 06:23 PM
official mile start? i also wish we still had 50m marks on our straightaways...

Bob Ramsey
04-09-2015, 09:37 AM
I'd want to include start lines for the mile, two mile, 1500m, 3000/5000m and 60m. If you ever want to host youth meets, remember that they have different hurdle marks for the younger kids.

For a HS track, I'd also want the 300m hurdlers to be able to start running straight, so I'd have those dashed lines extending each lane straight back if your track straights are less than 100m.

Little marks on the edge of the track with intermediate distances really help with sprint training and odd distance intervals.

At Azusa Pacific, they have small marks every ten meters on the edge of lane 8 on the home stretch - so there's the 110m start line, then the 100m, then a little 3" black line at 90m, then 80, the 70, the a 60m start line, then 40, 30, 20.

They also have intermediate marks 50 meters apart in lane one all the way around the track. So, besides the spots that are already covered by the regular markings, there's a 2 inch high numeral 50, 150, 250, & 350 at the appropriate spots.

Walt Lange
04-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Coaches,

Thanks much for the ideas. We have already considered many of them and will put those we haven't on our list. Much appreciated!

--Walt

RichEde
04-11-2015, 08:23 AM
We've used green alley lines (green 800 m starts and green break line so it keeps a theme) and it hasn't been a problem (got the idea from Carleton College where they use the yellow lines on both curves for the 5000). We also have "ghost" relay zones (outlines of triangles) in lanes 4-9 in the middle of the back straight for practice purposes. Having your 100 and 110 hurdles marked on the back stretch (we only mark one lane) helps to be able to practice hurdles on both straights.

Keith Chann
04-13-2015, 11:05 AM
I don't know what kind of wind there is at Jesuit, but you might think about having the hurdle marks for the reverse direction as well as the 200m start from the normal finish line to the normal 200m start (It is different than the 800m start lines).
Perhaps 4x200m relay markings.

Joe Wiley
04-13-2015, 11:25 PM
I've thought it would be nice to have each lane marked for it's actual length of one entire lap from the start line back around to the finish line. Figured it'd be helpful during workouts so if you have runners of different fitness levels doing the same workout you could have them run in separate lanes. So if lane 8 is 453 meters you could have a 15:00 3 miler doing laps out there and a 17:00 3 miler doing laps in lane 1 and they'd finish around the same time and could rest for the same time before starting the next repeat.