PDA

View Full Version : disqualifying an athlete at a cluster meet...

cush
10-08-2015, 07:29 PM
it recently came up at a meet where i was helping scoring (not coaching) where a parent paced his daughter (who won the varsity race by 50 seconds) on a bicycle at various points on the course, witnessed by a number of coaches from different teams. while it's likely there was no intention to cheat (new parent and athlete), who has the authority to decide on a DQ, assuming there was definitely an infraction? no redcoats were there, but a few ADs were present, and there was no consensus among coaches.

an aside: the team that would most benefit from a DQ argued we should just give a warning.

on a secondary issue, the father was less than graceful when one of the coaches reported the infraction--how would you handle the father other than a firm scolding and an explanation as to how he could potentially wreck/end his daughter's season if this happened at league finals/cif/etc.? in other sports you could keep him out of the gym/stadium for a game, but that obviously doesn't apply here as easily...

any ideas/suggestions/snarky remarks are appreciated,
cush

George Ramos
10-09-2015, 05:46 AM
I'm thinking that the coach of the team that hosted the meet (meet manager) has the authority to DQ. I once had to DQ a kid for body checking an opponent in the final kick of the race (and one of my own athletes for false starting an XC race!).

Regarding the secondary issue, the coach of the paced athlete might need to read that dad the rule on pacing out of the NFHS rule book; I read all of the pertinent rules to my athletes the day before the first meet of the season, and a little evidence out of the book might go a long way.

Great questions!