PDA

View Full Version : NFHS Rules on Video Use during competition

Rick Martinez
04-25-2016, 06:10 PM
Does this NFHS rule make it legal for coaches and athletes to view video during an event? I always thought that coaches can do it but athletes cannot.

3-2-8, 3-2-4k, 3-2-7: The use of electronic communication devices is permitted during meets in unrestricted areas and coaches’ boxes; however, they may not be used for any review of a referee’s decision or to communicate with an athlete during a race or trial.

Rationale: Technology advancements in the area of electronic audio and video devices have made such items easy to use and very accessible. Their use, if not used for communication during the actual competition when a competitor is on the track or completing a trial, no longer creates an advantage or disadvantage among competitors or teams and can serve as a coaching tool.

Hal Harkness
04-26-2016, 07:17 AM
Rick, the problem is with defining an unrestricted area during the meet, especially a dual meet. The bleachers and warm up areas are always unrestricted where video could be shared. However the athlete would have to ask for permission from a event official to leave the field to watch video. Standing against the bottom of the bleachers while still on the track or field is a NO NO. If there is a coaches box on the field, it is considered an unrestricted area. In reality this is a terrible rule for high school and I wish it would be removed from the rule book.

Keith Chann
05-11-2016, 06:53 AM
Their use, if not used for communication during the actual competition when a competitor is on the track or completing a trial, no longer creates an advantage or disadvantage among competitors or teams and can serve as a coaching tool.

By this rationale, would the large video boards used at some of the major meets be considered illegal? It allows athletes to view their competition and is definitely and aid while the competitor is on the track. It is provided by the meet management and not a coach so I am sure that it is a very grey area.

Hal Harkness
05-11-2016, 03:32 PM
A video board would not be illegal under any circumstances. Coaches and athletes have no control over what and when anything is shown. Just for the record, and I'm not holding my breath, I submitted a rule change proposal to the National Rules Committee (NFHS) to resend and eliminate the video rule and return to what we had forever. No video viewing during competition.