PDA

View Full Version : League Finals counting towards League Championships

CoachPapaRojas
03-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Coaches and all I was hoping to get some thoughts based on what your league do or have done in the past. We currently don't count league finals for the team titles in any way. Its simply to crown individual champions and select our CIF entries. We are considering creating some sort of point system where both dual meets and league finals counts towards the league championship. Do any of you have a format like this? any thoughts ? pros and cons? Thank you in advance for you ideas.

cush
03-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Coaches and all I was hoping to get some thoughts based on what your league do or have done in the past. We currently don't count league finals for the team titles in any way. Its simply to crown individual champions and select our CIF entries. We are considering creating some sort of point system where both dual meets and league finals counts towards the league championship. Do any of you have a format like this? any thoughts ? pros and cons? Thank you in advance for you ideas.

i'm not arguing for either side, but these are the first pro/con ideas that come to my mind:

the advantage of league finals counting towards the league standings is the greater likelihood of participation by all athletes--you hope none of your athletes' parents are planning family vacations at the end of the season. also, it can be argued that teams should be rewarded for peak fitness at the end of the season, and not overly penalized for lack of preparation during early season dual meets, especially if you have athletes transferring late from other sports. it also gives teams an opportunity to recover from quirks of seasonal scheduling, such as an important dual meet between contending teams falling on a thursday before a key invitational like a county championship or arcadia, etc.

the disadvantage is if the league finals meet counts, overzealous coaches with contending teams may over-race athletes to the detriment of their post-seasons. you'd hate to see a cif caliber 3200 runner not qualify because of fatigue caused by his coach requiring him to run the 1600 and 800 on a hot day in may because of league standings.

Coach BL
03-09-2017, 08:53 PM
The San Gabriel Valley League used to have a dual Meet Champion and a Finals Champion. With introduction of at-large entries, we dropped the Finals Champion, so athletes could focus on getting into C.I.F. instead of worrying about scoring points.
I still have the points on the Hy-TEK results, at the request of the coaches, but it's for fun and not official.

CoachPapaRojas
03-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Thank you both for the info! This helps us jump start our conversations for next year

RichEde
03-13-2017, 08:50 PM
Collegiately, the SCIAC counts both duals and championships for the conference crown (I believe it's 2/3 vs 1/3 but I can't swear which way that goes). Of course, their championship is no longer an NCAA qualifier.

IMO, pros: sense of team unity all the way through the finals; increased spectator interest (if you have a good announcer); perhaps more participation/buy-in by athletes who can place eighth but not 4th, as above, an equalizer for a down, flu-ridden dual meet earlier i the season.
cons:real potential for overuse of athletes; taking the legs out of them 8-9 days before CIF Prelims; double whammy if the flu hits at finals.

DCEnthusiast
03-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Our entire League Championship is determined at League Finals and I really don't like it. The problem is that the other League meets don't mean anything, and the other problem is as "cush" said, it forces you to wear out your athletes before CIF Prelims begins if you are in a tough League. I guess it just comes down to what is more important "winning a League title", or giving your best and usually hardest working athletes the opportunity to compete deep into CIF. I try to balance it, but it is quite a challenge.

The other issue is that you end up scratching a lot of CIF prelims qualifiers who qualify in multiple events. You do this so that they can be at their best in their best events. If Finals were treated as a CIF qualifying meet like I would prefer, then I would only enter the athletes in their best event giving other kids the opportunity to compete at CIF Prelims. For example: In the 1600 last year at League Finals 5 athletes met the qualifying standard for the 1600, however only the league winner ran at the event because number 2 and 3 scratched it to focus on an event in which they were better. The athletes that finished 4th and 5th would have finished 2nd and 3rd had the 2nd and 3rd place runner not run the event at League Finals.

CoachPapaRojas
03-20-2017, 04:03 PM
Thank you. I just got a chance to get back this thread and I've actually been moved against it. thanks for the info