PDA

View Full Version : Boys D2 Rankings

nimbus14
10-21-2012, 02:33 PM
I fully understand how difficult it is to rank teams when they don't run against each other in the same meets. However, coming into Mt. Sac, Loyola had been ranked #1 in state solely based on their performance at the Bell-Jeff invite. Historical data shows that Loyola runners, on average run about 50 seconds slower at Mt. Sac. than at Bell-Jeff. At the same time, Saugus, Dos Pueblos and Redondo had all posted much more impressive times at Woodbridge and/or Clovis. While Loyola is and will continue to be a great program, they have a long way to go in 2012. Based on Mt. Sac. Dos Pueblos, is the top team in state D2, with Saugus and Redondo very close behind. If they remain healthy, these three teams should be standing on the podium at the state meet.

xcbreak
10-21-2012, 02:47 PM
It should be really interesting to see the new rankings in all divisions. Should teams remain ranked high that choose not to run in the sweepstakes races and not run all there top guns, or do you reward the teams that got out and raced hard. Or how do you adjust rankings on teams that chose not to run this weekend. In any event there should be a shake up in the rankings this week and it should be fun to debate them.

Albert Caruana
10-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I say that the rankings should be based on how teams have done the entire season and how they could potentially finish at the state meet. When the state meet is decided at the Mt. SAC Invitational, we can then have a different discussion.

xcbreak
10-21-2012, 04:52 PM
One of things that is great about Mt Sac is so many of the top teams compete head to head, so it makes since that they should be used for rankings. It is so difficult to compare times and courses when teams don't meet head to head. I am mostly talking about the southern division rankings, I know it is hard for many teams to travel all the way down here.