Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Congrats to All Who Ran In Today's State Meet

Quote Originally Posted by inyoface View Post
    Lol.

Speaking of competition by school size, the Central Section needs the commissioner to undo the nonsense he has going right now. You remember McFarland? D2 now. On average they had around 800 students all 4 years I was in high school and are now competing against schools 1.5 times their size.
    Boys D2 & girls D3, message: If you're successful too often, we're gonna punish you and give someone else the trophy. Worst decision I've ever heard, and I live in the YV. Sounds like something Mark Gardner would have done.

Remember, the state puts an enrollment cap of 1250 for any school competing in Div. 4 regardless of section. At the state meet the southern section still took the top 5 spots, despite that.

I know some sections are flooded with most of its schools at a similar size and distribute them evenly among divisions 1 2 and 3 to level things out. Maybe, after their section meets they could be redistributed strictly according to enrollment figures for State.
    Last edited by yesstiles; 11-25-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I know some sections are flooded with most of its schools at a similar size and distribute them evenly among divisions 1 2 and 3 to level things out. Maybe, after their section meets they could be redistributed strictly according to enrollment figures for State.
    I think this would be best approach to take. Division 1 would primarily be Southern Section teams and Divisions 2 and 3 would primarily be Central and Northern CA Section teams. Don't redistribute the teams until after local sections. Makes perfect sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Soles View Post
    I personally think that all sections should have the same numbers for State. I realize that this isn't easy and would mean that some sections would not field division 1 teams, but it clearly isn't fair for teams to have to try to compete with programs that come from much bigger schools.

A couple thoughts:
    -Does anyone want to do a simulation on how this year would have turned out if everyone would have been in their "correct" division based on SS divisional numbers?
    -How do private schools factor? Although some have fewer kids to choose from, some also are able to form all-star teams of local talent. Should that be considered?
    -Should private schools be placed into divisions based on team history of success and not school population since they don't necessarily have a "normal" population?
    -How many non SS teams would make the state meet for D1? Would D2 become a super division with most of the best teams from around the state?
    -Who would this help and who would it hurt?

Thank you,

Doug
    Doug (or anyone for that matter)
    I'd be happy to re-run the results given new division placements but I would want someone to send me what the teams new divisions are. Below is a link of an excel file with a tab for Boys and one for Girls of the schools that need their "new" division. I have removed individuals since we are only talking about "teams" for this discussion. If you email it to me at HANKLAWTRACK@GMAIL.COM I will rerun the results and post the findings. The tough part is filling in the new divisions.

http://www.prepcaltrack.com/ATHLETIC...2/stat_div.xls

hank

Hi hank, I think Albert was working on that...check with him and see where he is at.

Doug
    ----------------------------
    Doug Soles
    Head XC & Track Coach
    Great Oak High School

What cut-offs would be used to determine the divisions? The State has established Divisional maximums for divisions 4 and 5 but what about Divisions 2 and 3? Different sections have their interpretations about what large schools are.
    Keith Chann
    Chemistry teacher
    XC Fan
    Rubidoux High School

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Chann View Post
    What cut-offs would be used to determine the divisions? The State has established Divisional maximums for divisions 4 and 5 but what about Divisions 2 and 3? Different sections have their interpretations about what large schools are.
    We will use the SS numbers. That way, all the teams are competing against like-sized schools. Some Div III teams will slide down to Division IV. The state has established the maximum of 1250 for Division IV but not all sections go to that maximum. This does mean that most of the Division I schools are from the SS and SDS but that's no different than what we have now.
    Albert Caruana
    Crystal Springs Uplands School

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Soles View Post
    Hi hank, I think Albert was working on that...check with him and see where he is at.

Doug
    Albert's not doing it, I just emailed him. Anyone else want to tackle this...?

hank

Change of plan, Albert has a free period and he's going to work on it now. Hope to have the results up by the afternoon. If you want to see Coed results, NorCal only or want something specific, let me know and I'll try to do. NorCal and coed stuff can be found at:

http://www.prepcaltrack.com/ATHLETIC...2/stateres.htm

hank

Change of plan, Albert has a free period and he's going to work on it now
    Cross Country statistical analysis, the #1 reason why my kids get assigned book work!!
    Keith Chann
    Chemistry teacher
    XC Fan
    Rubidoux High School