Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Sarah Baxter the most dominant XC runner in CA history?

I wonder if MileSplit will move Sarah Baxter up from 5th (!?) in their national rankings.

Last week MileSplit finally moved her ahead of Jillian Fanning of FM who hasn't run a race this season and who finished behind her at NXN in 2011.

FloTrack has posted the most complete video version of the race - http://www.flotrack.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Chavez View Post
    Julia Stamps was a thing of beauty to watch. She is one of the smartest racers I have ever seen. Perhaps her greatest accomplishment came her senior year when, after winning 3 individual state titles in a row, all she wanted was for her team to win state. She focused on motivating and bettering her team that season with the help of her coach, who did a great job. That year she was individual champ for the 4th year in a row and her team won the state title. One of the best interviews I have read was of her after the state meet. I have used her as motivation over the years for any elite level athlete I have coached who wants to merely focus on their own season their senior year. Julia was a cl*** act and a great role model.

+1
    Excellent post!

I might be a little bit "biased" because Julia and her family are very dear friends of mine, but I think that Steve Chavez really hit the nail on the head.

Julia wasn't just some young "phenom" that dominated every competition that she entered. She was "mature beyond her years" and knew how to be a leader. She was bright, bubbly, spoke well, and always had something positive to say. She was a great motivator and at a young age understood the dynamics necessary to get her TEAM to achieve a State Title. She wasn't just a selfish elite "phenom". She saw the Big Picture. Not sure why coaches here believe that she "only" dominated during her first 2.5 years. Her 16:43 her Senior year in 1996 is still the course record at State.
    So are her 16:45's run during her soph and junior years.

If that isn't DOMINATING, I don't know what is!

I'm happy to say that Julia is as Cl***y as ever . . . and is still running through Annadel State Park just like she used to in her younger days, and trains for a Marathon here and there (she competed at the US Olympic Marathon Trials in 2008 and 2012). But now she's kept incredibly busy chasing after her two little one's . . . .Siena Rae and Ashlin Rose.

Last edited by Track Dude; 10-28-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Track Dude View Post
    Not sure why coaches here believe that she "only" dominated during her first 2.5 years. Her 16:43 her Senior year in 1996 is still the course record at State.
    So are her 16:45's run during her soph and junior years.

If that isn't DOMINATING, I don't know what is!

I can only ***ume that you're talking to me, as no other coach mentioned 2.5 years. Really, you're preaching to the choir here as I was a huge Stamps fan (I was present for everyone one of her sub-17:00 Woodward Park clockings). If you're offended that I don't think she was the most dominating California female athlete ever for 4-straight years, I apologize. But I'm basing my opinion off of facts.
    While she did set the still standing state record at Woodward, the rise of Kim Mortensen and Kristen Gordon make it hard for me to say she was the most dominating ever her last 1.5-2 years.

Glad to see she's doing so well.
    Note to self: no one cares

Quote Originally Posted by Remylive View Post
    If you're offended that I don't think she was the most dominating California female athlete ever for 4-straight years, I apologize. But I'm basing my opinion off of facts.
    While she did set the still standing state record at Woodward, the rise of Kim Mortensen and Kristen Gordon make it hard for me to say she was the most dominating ever her last 1.5-2 years. Glad to see she's doing so well.

Not offended at all Coach!
    Like I said at the beginning, I'm a little bit biased.

My memory may be a bit "foggy" given my years, but I certainly remember Mortensen defeating Stamps at State on the track in the 3200m in 9:52.80 But I also seem to recall that Stamps had defeated Mortensen during the Fall Cross Country season rather handily on 4 occasions... only losing to Mortensen at the 1995 Footlocker Nationals when Julia failed to finish due to the flu.