Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coach O'Brien

I think what's most disappointing about this situation is that their own athletes are talking about clear violations on their Facebook page (running on Sundays with coaches and being disciplined for not attending, dead period with coaches, etc.) yet the vast majority of the Arcadia athletes dismiss these violations and their former teammates who admit that it has happen basically turning on each other. What message is being sent...

If the violations are untrue then why did former teammates admit that they occurred? If they are true... then why isn't anyone including the athletes their parents and coaches taking responsibility for their actions? Was Coach O'Brien removed to appease CIF?

As a team that lost to Arcadia (one of many), I don't wish ill will to their program and I certainly don't want their state trophy... but I would like to know (not that this is the first or last situation that will raise this question) that I am playing on the same level ground as my competition! This is a question that plague me as an athlete and now as a coach and after watching how our sport, MLB, cycling has handle it in the past... well I'm not sure anyone has the strength to make the decisions that must be made to end the era we live in!

Letter explains firing of popular Arcadia cross country coach

Read more: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news...#ixzz2ba3VW56t
    Albert Caruana
    Crystal Springs Uplands School

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Caruana View Post
    Letter explains firing of popular Arcadia cross country coach
    With all due respect, there is no “letter” published and there is no “explanation” for what occurred. What you have is an embattled board trying to use the press to justify their position now rather than having addressed this in their public forum when they had the chance.

Just out of curiosity, how many believe that O’Brien actually attended and ran the practices during the dead week. Or how many believe that the kids ran together, using O’Brien’s guidance, because they are that dedicated. Perhaps they have a website up that tells them where to meet during the dead period, like some other schools around the Southland, and the summer runs are led by a captain or some seniors. Is that against the rules? If it is I know quite a few teams that operate that way. You’re ridiculous CIF rules are just a bunch of gotchas meant to hurt kids (and now coaches). When I was a runner we sometimes had members from 3 or 4 teams show up at the same place during the summer and the weekends and we’d run together. Did you know that if a coach attends now with his team, it’s a violation of the CIF rules for the other kids to run with those kids? You CIF public-school supporters have really lost sight of what matters. And if anyone missed it, “with all due respect” doesn't mean what it suggests.

Now is the time to get out the hypocrisy meter for both the Arcadia High School Administrators and those who will now jump on their bandwagon to express their shock and dismay about these "CIF violations".

I recall hearing a well respected presenter at an LA84 clinic, when asked how he handled dead period, talk about how he would "drop" a running schedule at the last team meeting before dead period, instruct the runners to clean up by picking up a sheet of paper, then "happen" to show up walking his dog during spontaneous group runs during dead period.

This same presenter prefaced this by talking about how everyone knew about the head coach who had just been fired by his administrator for dead rule violations. It seemed that a runner asked the coach what he should do during dead period and the coach told him he should run. The kids parents had scheduled a vacation and they thought this would interfere so they complained to the administrator. The administraor consulted CIF who told him that was a technical violation but that any discipline was up to him. The presenter said that the point of the story was that they need not fear the CIF, but their administrators.

I heard about a highly regarded team and coach, when their star was academically disqualified had him run the same workout, on the same track, at the same time, but in a different direction. Yes the coaches were present, logged his times, etc.

I am not suggesting that either of these coaches are evil people.

The stories go on and on.

Rules are good. Level playing fields are essential.

But hypocrisy is disgusting.
    Last edited by rnrdad; 08-10-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Three, If you go through their save O'Brien Facebook page, you will noticed that a former arcadia athlete stated he was at those practices and that athletes were disciplined for not attending Sunday team runs ... I wasn't there so I'm not going to say one thing or the other... but their own athletes are saying it is true? I think WE all should understand that there are two sides to every story and what information makes it's way to the general public doesn't always paint the picture of what is really going on...

Just because you hate CIF and it's rules doesn't mean that the rules should not be followed! I don't agree with half (or more) of them but I'm not going to violate them... Rules are rules, you follow them or you accept the consequences. Is every coach following the rules... NO, is Coach O'Brien (if he did violate them) the only one, NO! And that is what is wrong with the age we live in right now! Cheating has become common and those who cheat simply point fingers rather than do the right thing. When as a society we decide that cheating is wrong and we punish them the way we should than cheating will (no... it will never end) not be at the level it is currently. If Baseball made teams forfeit games that cheats played in than MLB wouldn't have as large a problem as it does currently.

Level playing field is what we all want... but what we will never have unless something changes!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony DiMarco View Post
    Three, If you go through their save O'Brien Facebook page, you will noticed that a former arcadia athlete stated he was at those practices and that athletes were disciplined for not attending Sunday team runs ... I wasn't there so I'm not going to say one thing or the other... but their own athletes are saying it is true? I think WE all should understand that there are two sides to every story and what information makes it's way to the general public doesn't always paint the picture of what is really going on...

Just because you hate CIF and it's rules doesn't mean that the rules should not be followed! I don't agree with half (or more) of them but I'm not going to violate them... Rules are rules, you follow them or you accept the consequences. Is every coach following the rules... NO, is Coach O'Brien (if he did violate them) the only one, NO! And that is what is wrong with the age we live in right now! Cheating has become common and those who cheat simply point fingers rather than do the right thing. When as a society we decide that cheating is wrong and we punish them the way we should than cheating will (no... it will never end) not be at the level it is currently. If Baseball made teams forfeit games that cheats played in than MLB wouldn't have as large a problem as it does currently.

Level playing field is what we all want... but what we will never have unless something changes!
    No one is talking about hating CIF. As I read it, it was the administration, not CIF, that fired O'Brien and is now belatedly citing CIF violations. I am calling out hypocrisy on any on this board who will claim to be shocked when they, too, are guilty. They know who they are and so do their athletes and parents.

Rules are neccesary and having a level playing field is essential.

Along those lines, we should not be praising those who violate the rules. If you are going to get rid of a few get rid of all of them. Even the "favored", in the "in crowd", ones.

Talk about a sea change!!!
    Last edited by rnrdad; 08-10-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rnrdad View Post
    No one is talking about hating CIF.
    No worries. That's just Tony's way of saying he knows I'm not particularly enthralled with the way those in power abuse that power and hurt the disenfranchised. On a purely existential level, the CIF is one more example of a special interest group, ostensibly paid to help our society, benefiting only the few that directly pay its salaries. I don't take offense. It's just spin, and to be frank I admire Tony's rejoinders.

But to be clear Tony, this to me has become a story about power and about how people abuse their positions of power to hurt those they are charged to help. Don't you find it more than a bit coincidental that the board held a meeting to listen to the concerns of the parents, and then after hearing so many great things, said they won't help. Why did they hold that meeting anyway? More importantly, they refused to provide any guidance. Nothing. Not a word. Over 100 kids were hurt by their decision, and they stayed silent. Now, when the jobs of 3 board members are at stake, they are announcing all of this. Before it was a matter of secrecy when it hurt only 100 kids, but now when it could hurt 3 board members there is no need for secrecy. Really? I personally think that helps O'Brien immensely. That board is truly detached from its constituents and only cares now about saving itself.

For the record Tony, I think the CIF has added so much to the sports world and can add so much more. But to be honest, I would toss it aside for so many other options IF (and that's a big IF) it continues to represent solely the coaches' interest over the athletes.

Any one know where we can actually read the letters referenced in the Star News stories? It looks like two letters - the Board letter explaining their actions that was supposed to be posted in some sort of campaign ad, and a letter to CIF from Arcadia self reporting alleged CIF violations.

From what I have read, the alleged violations had to do with Sunday and dead period runs and recruiting.

I think it would be interesting to see the actual allegations in light of all the previous discusssions on this board on these subjects.

Albert Caruana
    Crystal Springs Uplands School

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Caruana View Post
    Thank you. Any possibility of seeing the school district's "self reporting" letter?