Thread: Cross Country/Cheerleading

Cross Country/Cheerleading

Anyone else have a runner or runners who do both cross country and cheer? One of our top female runners is doing both, and there are schedule conflicts with our practices and her cheer practices.

With that in mind, she informed me that she has to miss Tuesdays, which is routinely the day in our training schedule where we do speed work, because that is the most "important" day of the week for cheer practice. As coaches, I am sure that you understand how I am not very happy about this news.

Anyone else encounter this type of schedule conflict? I am preparing to try and work something out with the cheer coaches and our administration so that she can still make our workouts.

Meet her and dad at the workout spot at 6:30 am. Get her speed in. If she is dedicated this shouldn't be an issue. Let her know that she gets one season to do both and after that she will have to choose. Make sure she enjoys your sport more.
    ----------------------------
    Doug Soles
    Head XC & Track Coach
    Great Oak High School

Last year one of our top girls (17:23 pr, all orange county 2nd team) did both. Fortunately for us there weren't many conflicts and following on dougs's point,
    she 's not doing it anymore, she liked cross country and track more.

I do the one season for both with my first year athletes also. So far they have usually choose running.

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. I am planning to speak with her mother about it as well, especially since she has stated that she is not a fan of the monetary costs that add up with being a cheerleader.

Just thought I'd lend my support to Doug & Phil. We follow more or less the same plan. I feel it's especially important at a small school not to chase away any athletes that could help the program... Giving them one year to figure it out can lead to a top fiver down the road
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "To whom much is given, much is expected"

Tim Sharpe
    Head Coach XC
    Distance Coach T&F
    Harvard-Westlake