Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: possible venue change for CIF-SS events 2014 & 2015

possible venue change for CIF-SS events 2014 & 2015

Coaches (parents & athletes too),

so yesterday I received this e-mail from CIF-SS:

CIF-SS Cross Country Coaches:

There is a chance that Mt.SAC will be under construction during the 2014 or 2015 Cross Country Prelims and Finals. If this happens, we would not be able to use their Cross Country course. Nothing is definite as yet, but we are making preliminary inquiries to you as to possible venues in which to hold our two events, if and when the construction does occur there.

We are ideally looking for a place that can be secured for admission, has adequate parking space and is the kind of course we would expect for a championship event. If you have a suggestion please forward those on to me at the CIF-SS Office.

Bob McGuire will be at the Mt.SAC meet this weekend, if you would like to share your ideas with him as well.

We want to get ahead of this so that we have a direction to move in for our events, once the construction schedule is finalized.

So, Southern Section coaches lets start the discussion. Suggestions of possible sites if Mt. SAC cannot be used for 1-2 years?

Do we as coaches want to have a course that is similar to Mt. SAC or are people open to having a flatter course, a 5K route... after I received the e-mail I started thinking of venues (both LA and IE counties).

love to hear some ideas/opinions/thoughts
    Renzo M.
    Aquinas Falcons XC sjb 95 lbcc 2000 csulb2002

running and art are a lot alike... you don't improve unless you put in the practice

Whoa! This is interesting news.

Some ideas off of the top of my head -

College of the Canyons - has a challenging course like SAC and the site is used to hosting a good amount of runners/spectators, as seen in the turnouts for their summer all-comers races.

Prado Park - The Chino Hills-area venue has hosted major collegiate meets in the past (SCIAC, DIII Regionals, DII Championships). It would be a good site for a flatter 5K. But, there would be a major log jam the entrance and with parking.

Irvine Regional Park - OC Championships were just held there, but I have no idea if this venue could hold the number of runners/spectators as SAC does.

Part of the problem will be getting coaches to agree on what we want for a course. Many feel that the Mt. SAC course itself is a bit tough on the runners 2 weeks in a row. I would hate for us to move to a "road race" on a lightening fast course that are so popular at the beginning of the season. In my opinion, track season is for speed. Cross country is for a challenging, but reasonable, course. The fast courses certainly have their place during the season but I would rather not see them decide championships (like the Mt. SAC rain course!).

I do think Prado Park is a reasonable choice but the grass needs to be cut to a reasonable length and there are no real hills but it could be workable. The entrance, as pointed out above, would be a nightmare though.
    Keith Chann
    Chemistry teacher
    XC Fan
    Rubidoux High School

yeah I know there are now two treads on this issue, but I figured i'd give my two cents on the one I started.

places I've coach/ran/spectated at that I think may make decent alternatives to Mt. SAC

Cuesta College (SLO/Morrow Bay)
    Pros: course similar to Mt SAC
    Cons: on the northwestern fridge of the SS, parking may be an issue

El Dorado Park (Long Beach)
    Pros: Central to LA & OC
    Cons: Not Central to IE or Ventura/SLO/Santa Barbra Counties, Flat as a pan cake

Glen Helen Regional
    Pros: Plenty of parking, decent course (used for IE Champs) , 'rolling' hills and flat, could easily make 5k layout, great for IE school & those coming down from North eastern parts of SS
    Cons: Location wouldn't sit well with OC, LA and probably SLO, Ventura & Santa Barbra. Doesn't have any major hills

Irvine Park:
    Pros- Great location for OC, well known course (well for OC at least)
    Cons- Parking , location good for OC, But not so much anyone else in the section, plus did I mention the parking?

other places I've heard about but never been to... Prado park, College of the Canyons... and what is the name of the park in san dimas that's pretty big?

more suggestion coaches/parents/spectators?
    Renzo M.
    Aquinas Falcons XC sjb 95 lbcc 2000 csulb2002

running and art are a lot alike... you don't improve unless you put in the practice

Forget Irvine Park, not on the short or long list.

Are you thinking of Bonelli Park in San Dimas?

One other unusual idea - UC Riverside's course. Closed access, parking on campus. But utterly flat course. Agree with others that hills make it a championship course.

Does anyone have any input on Diamond Valley Lake?

has pierce college made a long or short list? i'm pretty sure it has closed access.

i'd disagree with the uc riverside course being completely flat--you probably could come up with a course out there that may be close to being comparable to woodward park, though not mt. sac.

finally, i suppose it will be difficult to find any course that can meet mt. sac's environment, at least from c.i.f.'s perspective:
    closed access;
    #of teams that can be put on the line;
    rain course contingency

my guess is something's gotta give (and i doubt it will be closed access)...

Pierce College is also not on short or long list.

Wow, a Great (big) Park would be nice. LOL

How about....
    Let's all just go to Woodward park for a few weekends??
    or UCI or what about a golf course in Corona, Norco area?

Hal, there is a area near Irvine Park that is used for special events. Call me for info.