Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rain course?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Harkness View Post
    The rain course distance is not mirrored to the regular course, it's that distance because that's how Mt. Sac designed it and when we all found out it was too long after the first running, the only way to shorten it was to reduce the turn around loop in the soccer parking lot and because of the concrete barriers there is only one place to move the turn around.

Footlocker is a Mt. Sac event as well as the Invitational in October. They have whatever personnel and financial resources they wish to expend on the course in weather prep, we don't. That simple.
    Hal,

Respectfully I must disagree.

Totally understand the logistical challenges. But I believe they are overstated. The vast majority of high school coaches set-up cross-country courses every year that are 3.0 miles with far less resources and manpower available than at Mt. Sac during the CIF Championships.

I do not buy into this is the only way to set-up the course excuse. One could simply go around the soccer parking lot the first time the long way (used in 2010), then go around the soccer parking lot the shorter way the 2nd time (the one used the last two years). That's just one simple example of how to make a change to make the rain course 3.0-3.1 miles.

Is there a need for change now? Absolutely. This is no different than when the course was 3.2 miles and there was a need and cry to shorten it to 3.0-3.1 miles. Now that the course is short, there is a similar need and desire to make the course 3.0-3.1.

Logistically it is the same set-up for 2.91 as it was for 3.2. So why are we running 2.91?

I understand you are not in charge of the setting up of the rain course. But how can you argue that 2.91 is more appropriate than 3.2? Wouldn't it be better to mirror the distance that is run at the state meet? Or the traditional distance of 3.0 miles if a simple moving of cones could remedy the situation?
    Note to self: no one cares

Doug Todd sent an email to Rainer Wulf in the SS Office this morning (Thursday) indicating they received "quite a bit" of rain during the night and the course was in poor condition. Any further rain today will only make matters worse.

Doug Todd sent an email to Rainer Wulf in the SS Office this morning (Thursday) indicating they received "quite a bit" of rain during the night and the course was in poor condition. Any further rain today will only make matters worse.
    Sounds like we all need to plan for the rain course on Saturday, even if it isn't raining that day based on course conditions from previous rain...

I second Rene's thoughts on creating a 3.0 mile course so we can use the times for records in our record books (believe it or not that is very important to coaches, athletes, parents, etc.). I even volunteer Cush to run it a few times to make sure it is accurate.

Doug
    ----------------------------
    Doug Soles
    Head XC & Track Coach
    Great Oak High School

Remy,

In concept, I like your idea. It is a bit more complicated than moving some cones 20 times. Even with cones and course monitors, we had a significant number of runners make somewhat arbitrary turns in the soccer parking lot, so we found that actually flagging the turn-around was pretty much necessary and those flags would have to be moved during each race. It can be done and if we can get sufficient manpower, we'll look into it. We MAY be at the mercy of Mt. SAC's use of one arm of the parking lot.

Is there a chance that there might be a definite decision made be late Friday afternoon? If so, can it be posted here?

Thanks,

Craig

I will be out on the course Friday afternoon to take a look at conditions. If we can make a definite decision at that time, I'll post here.

So Tuesday I was sitting in front of my computer and pining for the days when coaches would actually come on this board and have discussions. It was Tuesday before CIF-SS Finals and no mention of prelims and/or Finals anywhere. I then tried to figure out what might cause a reaction strong enough to actually get some life in this message board and BINGO "rain course" seemed to be a good topic.

Success (and fruition)
    Keith Chann
    Chemistry teacher
    XC Fan
    Rubidoux High School

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Chann View Post
    So Tuesday I was sitting in front of my computer and pining for the days when coaches would actually come on this board and have discussions. It was Tuesday before CIF-SS Finals and no mention of prelims and/or Finals anywhere. I then tried to figure out what might cause a reaction strong enough to actually get some life in this message board and BINGO "rain course" seemed to be a good topic.

Success (and fruition)
    So you're the one that jinxed the weather?

Yes, please make the course 3.0 miles. I hate short or long courses.

Hopefully 36 hrs though between rain and race will be enough time for the course to be usable.

image.jpg

If it comes to it & we need to go rain course:
    Would it be possible to flag both turns & just swing a rope across the shorter turnaround that first time thru, then swing it to block the longer turn around second time through? Might be easier than trying to move the flags each race. Just my 2cents to help with ways to get a 3mi course... Seems like lotta folks would like that, including myself

Sorry for the crude drawing... Did it on an ipad app real quick. Red lines = flags, yellow line = rope.
    Last edited by Coach Razor; 11-21-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "To whom much is given, much is expected"

Tim Sharpe
    Head Coach XC
    Distance Coach T&F
    Harvard-Westlake