Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rain course?!?

The latest, as of 10 a.m. Friday:

Apparently Doug Todd sent an email this morning informing that the current condition of the course might actually make it runnable on Saturday if it does not take on more water.

A few people plan to be at Mt. SAC early this afternoon for administrative detail regarding the facility. At that time, the condition of the course also will be reviewed. I will drop by Mt. SAC to visit the course as well.

Here's the snag: The current weather forecast calls for two hours of "few showers" between now and the end of the meet tomorrow. But that two-hour window is from 4 to 6 p.m. this evening, AFTER the review of the course.

My best suggestion: Plan for the rain course to be used tomorrow, since the forecast might be correct or there might be even more rainfall than forecast. If there is no rainfall from now to until tomorrow and if Coach Todd's recent assessment is accurate, then one would think that any decision being made before early tomorrow morning would be a premature one.

Still, as coaches you need to prepare your kids for the high probability that rain comes, the course goes bad, and the rain course will need to be used.

Rich
    "Cross-country is an individual sport. Succeeding in cross-country is a team sport!"

Thanks, Rich, for the update!!!
    Aron Lyons
    Xavier Prep

Thanks Rich! Maybe someone can bring some sawdust for the bad parts and have it ready to run!

Doug
    ----------------------------
    Doug Soles
    Head XC & Track Coach
    Great Oak High School

Thanks for the update. I think if the soil has not reached its saturation point yet, it would have to rain fairly hard for it to get there in a two hour window. The flip side is that once it does become saturated, you are looking at 12-24 hours for it to dry out again. Could go either way.
    I think most of the rain is in my backyard so far... Taking one for the team

Just a suggestion but, how about using Quick-Dry on any bad parts. They use this stuff on baseball fields. Works like a charm.

As of 3:30 when I left Mt. SAC the regular course is runnable. If it does not receive significant rain tonight we will run the regular course. We'll make a final determination at 5:30 in the morning if necessary. Keep good thoughts, it's sprinkling lightly in the area.

Update!?

As we tweeted 45 minutes ago..... the REGULAR course is being used! NO RAIN COURSE!
    "Cross-country is an individual sport. Succeeding in cross-country is a team sport!"