Thread: Peaking for CIF

Peaking for CIF

This year we tried a two week mileage reduction and the kids felt great the first week(league finals). The second week we didn't do anything we hadn't done before just less. Friday they were a little sore. They ran about 15-30sec. slower then expected. They feel that they just had a bad day.

I think I figured out what I need to do next year but I am curious what others do that last week or so.

The thing I had to do this year was split up the team with who could taper and who couldn't. We ran great at CIF Finals last year and at State Finals, only half the team felt good, the other had felt dead and didn't want to taper for the next year.

With that being said, I allowed the guys who wanted to taper or felt that they benefited from tapering to taper. The ones who wanted to avoid the taper stayed at higher milage. Still had them back off a little from the usual milage amount since we do the milage at that point faster.

I think the problem that could have happened was that the your kids ran the milage slower than usual. I had kids during track assume, well taper means we can do less and we don't have to go as fast... those kids usually tanked and I personally feel exhausted running slower (takes more effort). Only thing I can think of based on the information.

Jose Lara
    Jurupa Hills
    Assistant Cross Country
    Head Distance for Track
    Last edited by dudewhoruns; 12-05-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Thanks. That is not a bad idea if you have somebody that doesn't seem to peak like the others.. I had an athlete that felt that way last year but he was one of my better ones this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dudewhoruns View Post
    The thing I had to do this year was split up the team with who could taper and who couldn't. We ran great at CIF Finals last year and at State Finals, only half the team felt good, the other had felt dead and didn't want to taper for the next year.

With that being said, I allowed the guys who wanted to taper or felt that they benefited from tapering to taper. The ones who wanted to avoid the taper stayed at higher milage. Still had them back off a little from the usual milage amount since we do the milage at that point faster.

I think the problem that could have happened was that the your kids ran the milage slower than usual. I had kids during track assume, well taper means we can do less and we don't have to go as fast... those kids usually tanked and I personally feel exhausted running slower (takes more effort). Only thing I can think of based on the information.

Jose Lara
    Jurupa Hills
    Assistant Cross Country
    Head Distance for Track