Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: State Rankings

State Rankings

Just a couple of comments.

Bellarmine just beat Carlmont by 1 point at the Crystal Springs Invitational and are ranked 6th in state in Division I. Carlmont is not ranked.

The University boys are ranked 4th in state and were just defeated by Lick Wilmerding for the first time in 15 years. LW is not ranked.
    http://www.sml1.com/ncxc/infores/lw101112_b_res.htm

Piner just defeated Yreka at the Castro Valley Invitational. Currently Yreka is ranked 3rd and Piner 7th.

Are the teams being ranked on potential place at state or current standings?
    Albert Caruana
    Crystal Springs Uplands School

The few hours of sleep the last four days finally caught up with me. Thanks!

Carlmont, previously in the state poll earlier, should have been placed back in. They keep moving back in the right direction, this without Mark Vingralek. Errantly juggled them with De La Salle, so will re-slot those teams tonight. Had Piner back to their previous spot after that performance (affirming earlier ranking) but didn't make that changed when typed in this afternoon.

Hadn't seen Sean's results from the Uni meet. Will check those out (data and lineups) and adjust accordingly tonight.
    "Cross-country is an individual sport. Succeeding in cross-country is a team sport!"

Since La Costa Canyon hasn't run its entire anticipated girl's varsity team yet this fall, I wonder why you chose this week to drop them from #2 to #4 in D2. Unless you have additional information, it doesn't seem as if the LCC performance at the So Cal Invite would dictate a drop. After all, they didn't run their projected top 4 at the meet. Seems as if they decided to rest them for Mt. Sac (without knowing Ellie Abrahamson's status).

On another front, looking forward to your preview of Mt. Sac.

Greg,

Mira Costa and Redondo both took a step up, not necessarily La Costa Canyon going backward. It's a bummer that while all ten state-ranked teams in Girls Division II will run at Mt. SAC this weekend, they are spread in various races. If I recall correctly, five of the ten are in Team Sweeps, one is in Individual Sweeps, then four more in non-seeded races (and mostly in separate non-seeded races, as I recall).

Hope to see you at Mt. SAC!

Mt. SAC preview indeed to come.
    "Cross-country is an individual sport. Succeeding in cross-country is a team sport!"

El Dorado and Will C. Wood both beat Placer over the weekend, yet Placer is ranked #8 over El Dorado in Division 3 ??

Bella Vista girls beat Golden Valley#9 and Claremont#10 in Division 2 at Clovis missing one varsity runner and not ranked ahead of these teams??

The Placer-El Dorado situation has been reviewed multiple times, as well as how Will C. Wood ties into it. Placed a call to Placer coach Randall Fee yesterday and had multiple email exchanges with El Dorado coach Peanut Harms yesterday to get more information. Will address this in the "notes" that are to come.

Bella Vista has been the up-and-down program in D2 this year, sometimes looking as good as #10 and other times not in the top 14. Thus, they've made it difficult as where to best place them.

Claremont, as most are aware, is coming off a clear "step-up" performance in the meet after Clovis, outperforming the league rival that beat it by 400 points in the combined merge at Clovis the week before.

By the way, Claremont's "step-up" performance wasn't a total shock. They entered the season quite strong on paper and apparently were laying low for a while. They clearly struck with a vengeance at a key meet on their calendar.

All the rankings will change this week after Mt Sac. We will see who is for real or not.

Any time there are rankings, people feel slighted. It is great for the kids to see that their team is ranked, but it does not mean SQUAT! I am sure Rich puts in countless hours trying to analyze times and teams. I applaud him for his time and effort as I think his rankings are pretty good. Any ranking system has some level of subjectivity, therefore someone is always going to be upset. I am just happy to see the rankings every week as it fun to compare times from the ranked teams in comparison to my child's team. I am not sure how he can keep up with all the different teams in the different divisions throughout the state.

Thanks for the rankings and keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gonzalez View Post
    Mira Costa and Redondo both took a step up, not necessarily La Costa Canyon going backward.
    I think I'm a little less convinced by league meet performances as indicators as it's difficult to know how hard individuals and teams actually ran. Given Mira Costa's performance at Stanford, attaching great value to last week's Bay League meet is the only way to move them past Foothill, let alone past LCC.

On the other hand, considering potential rather than performance as MileSplit currently is doing by ranking LCC #2 nationally is just plain silly.

As has been said, things will be clearer after Mt. Sac.

For D2, Anaheim Canyon is in one varsity race; Mira Costa, Saugus and Tesoro in another; LCC and Redondo in Individual Sweeps; and Claremont, Foothill, Golden Valley and Rancho Bernardo in Team Sweeps (if I read and copied correctly).

My question for Saturday is will any girl's team go under 90:00? Yes, I hope to see you there.