Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Cross Country first look

Pissed off..... are you kidding me?!?!?! How do you NOT have Corona in your Top 5?!!!!!
    While we do understand your interest in our rankings we regret to inform you that at this time we are unable to offer you a position in our rankings. We do get many very fine squads competing for a limited number of spots, we wish you success this upcoming season and will certainly keep you in mind if our needs change. Please keep us apprised of any changes in your status that may affect your status. Good luck in your future endeavors.
    Keith Chann
    Chemistry teacher
    XC Fan
    Rubidoux High School

Corona 2014 T&F 1600

4:24 - Robles - 11
    4:25 - Silva - 11
    4:27 - Brooks - 11
    4:34 - Villa - 9
    4:34 - Spatter - 10
    4:34 - Bell - 11

I'd say 15th to 1st at CIF in one year is possible if they put the work in and the stars align. Villa and Spatter should be able to close the gap to those front 3. Put 5 kids under 15:30 at Mt. SAC and good things are going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gardner View Post
    Pissed off..... are you kidding me?!?!?! How do you NOT have Corona in your Top 5?!!!!!
    No one gets in the top 5 until they win the HDC in the YV. So pack up your bus and get out hereSept. 26th.

Just like when I ran in high school in California, the competition in the state is insane. Some of my runners here in Alabama have looked at the California results with lots of interest.
    Former XC/distance track student-athlete at:
    San Joaquin Memorial High School, Fresno, CA (c/o 2003)
    Orange Coast College, Costa Mesa, CA (c/o 2005)
    University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (c/o 2008, 2010)

I agree with all of these lists. One thing though that I think could take the state by surprise this coming season is the San Diego section. There are some really talented programs in that section, especially young talent. Del Norte was a big player in DIII but lost momentum coming towards the close of their season, could they come back stronger this year? Also in DIII from SD is University City and Canyon Crest. They went 7, University City, and 8, Canyon Crest, in the state meet last year with a gap of only 4 points, also University City could be one of the deepest team in DIII which was showcased last year when they placed 10th in the Mt.SAC D3 sweepstakes and then won the DIII JV Sweepstakes over Jurupa Hills.If we are using track times as an indicator University City has the upper hand with 4 guys running sub 4:30 in the 1600 and only one is a senior. Canyon Crest also has talent that unfortunately did not reveal itself on the boy's side in track. Some other major players from San Diego are La Jolla Country Day a very strong competitor in DV especially with Julius Diehr returning, and Natalia La Spada for the girls. Other teams include the annual major players of Carlsbad and La Costa Canyon, although they will be missing their top runner Steven Fahy. Westview I believe certainly should have a bid in for top 10 easily at state this coming year with a lot of strong returning runners. Mt. Carmel could surprise this following season after losing some major parts of their team. Any thoughts?

Martin, king has a good team returning but they are very far from the fastest 5 returning! They do not even have the fastest 5 returners in the Big 8. King returns 15:42, 15:44, 16:12, 16:16 and 16:20 for a team time of 80:14. Corona returns a team time of 80:05. The top returning teams in the SS are Warren at 76:57 (!!), Great Oak 77:06, Brea Olinda 77:45 and Jurupa Hills 78:05. There are at least 10 teams from the Southern Section that return teams under 80:00. There are also many teams in the other sections that, if they ran Mt. SAC, would be in that mix. I have King on my watch list for the top 20 but not in the top 15 at this point. There is definitely potential for a very good season but in the big picture King is not quite in there yet.
    Keith Chann
    Chemistry teacher
    XC Fan
    Rubidoux High School

Here is my latest version of the 2014 California Cross Country rankings. This time I have gone 20 deep. Big variables here not factored in are transfers and incoming freshmen. Let the debates continue. Here goes ...

1) Great Oak
    2) Madera South
    3) Warren
    4) Brea Olinda
    5) Jurupa Hills
    6) Bellarmine Prep
    7) Rubidoux
    8) Saugus
    9) Canyon (Anaheim)
    10) Dana Hills
    11) Ventura
    12) Davis Sr.
    13) Agoura
    14) ML King
    15) Corona
    16) El Modena
    17) Tesoro
    18) Loyola
    19) Clovis North
    20) Palos Verdes

Who was left out?
    Who else should be on the watch list?
    Where are the top freshmen going?
    Who is going to rank the girls?
    Will the top teams from different divisions get to race each other?
    Keith Chann
    Chemistry teacher
    XC Fan
    Rubidoux High School

Keith - with all due respect, you should honestly leave any type of rankings or prognostications to the veterans and powers to be. Please do not take offense, but your Mickey Mouse-style of rankings, with little yellow sticky notes all over your desk is outdated to say the least. Most of your rankings are off of hear-say, personal bias and obviously slighted towards teams in your squads' own personal division and local area. For now, leave all of this to the professionals. Stop traveling through the various lands that Disney offers and stay in the present, the realistic and, well... the educated. I hope this does not come off as too negative as tone is often overlooked and misunderstood when communicated through written format... I do apologize if this came off as audacious and rude. You're a good guy with good intentions.

MEANWHILE, here is a quick look at the top girls' teams in California!!
    This is simply going off of results from last November...

1) Great Oak
    2) Davis
    3) Saugus
    4) Trabuco Hills
    5) Redondo Union
    6) Capistrano Valley
    7) Simi Valley
    8) Campolindo
    9) Vista Murrieta
    10) Arroyo Grande
    others right off the cusp: Bella Vista, Buchanan, Mira Costa, San Clemente, Serrano
    Last edited by Mark Gardner; 06-28-2014 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gardner View Post
    ...powers to be...
    For now, leave all of this to the professionals.
    Stop traveling through the various lands that Disney offers and stay in the present, the realistic and, well... the educated. I hope this does not come off as too negative as tone is often overlooked and misunderstood when communicated through written format... I do apologize if this came off as audacious and rude.
    full discloure: i don't know keith chann (at least i don't think i do). i think i've met mark, but can't be sure.

that said, who are the "powers that be?" when do i get my personal invitation to this exclusive club? rich gonzalez, have you been holding out on me?

professionals? there are professional prognosticators on this site? personally, i can't remember when someone was right with these rankings, unless they're predicting the weather in the inland empire...

as far as audacious and rude--i'm assuming you've got some history together here that i'm not privy to that maybe explains this differently--but how else is the comment about the "various lands that disney offers" supposed to come off? just askin'...

what i've always liked about the rankings on this site--at least up until a few weeks before c.i.f. when at-larges are at stake--is there is pretty much no blood, no foul, nor is there much potential for either. so i'm ranking foothill's (ss) boys' and girls' x-c teams #1 in the state across all divisions, and, until someone else can definitively prove otherwise,

that's my story and i'm sticking to it....

yours in all things rank, ranking, and ranking rogers,
    cush

Wow - sarcasm does not come off too well here!

Keith is currently at Disney World with his family. As he was standing in line, in trying to keep him occupied, we were discussing how these message boards continue to be so dead! Like I have any idea of how to rank girls' teams.... !!!

I was just joking around guys.... perhaps too much lemonade that evening~~~~~~