Thread: New practice rules

New practice rules

With the implementation of the new practice rules this year a few issues have come up for me.

1) The 18 hours per week should not be a problem for any cross country program

2) 4 hours per day should be no problem for any of us either

3) Double practices must be at least 3 hours apart. I prefer to have at least 6 hours so this does not bother me.

4) Double practices cannot be on consecutive days. This I do not like, I understand but don't like. We used to run mornings on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday in addition to our regular workouts in the afternoon. I have had to change to M, W and Friday. Our school schedule has late starts on Thursdays so I used to be able to get in nice long runs on Thursday mornings but cannot do that now without losing another morning practice.

5) No doubles on competition days. We used to do a morning run on weekday meets days and the kids felt much better after having an easy 4 miles in the am before the afternoon races.

Oh, well. There are always reasons for the changes and I know that there are some over-zealous coaches/programs in many sports that need these guidelines. I just like to be able to do the things that worked for us in the past. Darn rules!!!

Hope everyone had a productive summer and I look forward to the fall racing season!!

Just my initial and uneducated ramblings.
    Keith Chann
    Chemistry teacher
    XC Fan
    Rubidoux High School

Hi Keith,

I have no issues other than the no back to back doubles. To me the rule is just a publicity stunt by politicians who want people to think they care about their kids. I have not seen any of the items they set as rules being abused by coaches in the 15 years I have been a coach. Like you said, time for M-W-F for the longer double stuff...

Doug
    ----------------------------
    Doug Soles
    Head XC & Track Coach
    Great Oak High School

Let's call this the "I'm so bored and live in Riverside County thread"

Seeking more clarity, can the kids simply organize themselves and do a 10-12 mile run on the morning of, let's say, Sept 20? They race later on around 9:00 pm at night.... they realize that they have a great opportunity to get in some extra mileage 14 hours before their event? ...no coaches, just the kids being motivated on their own to get it in on their own? Does that constitute a second workout on a competition day?

Mark,

The way it has been explained to me, that would still be an "expectation" that you are providing to the kids and therefore would factor in workout or time wise. They added that stipulation to keep coaches from doing just those types of things. Check with your AD for clarification, but that is what I have been told.

Doug
    ----------------------------
    Doug Soles
    Head XC & Track Coach
    Great Oak High School

Unfortunately, I do not have the advantage of an XC class. Any doubles that I do would have to be before school (which starts at 7:15) and therefore would count towards practice time. If I had 1st period XC class, I could do 4 mile runs every morning (I wouldn't but I could) and they would not count as practice.
    Keith Chann
    Chemistry teacher
    XC Fan
    Rubidoux High School

Let's just call a spade-a-spade, the rules apply to the running sports but all this was about the revenue sports of football and basketball. They couldn't be singled out so the rules affect everyone! The powers that be had to protect Billy from the Marine Corp type of football coach.

Just my 2 cents