Thread: quest for orange county sub-4...

quest for orange county sub-4...

not to put any pressure on tamagno, or his coach rainwater, but a question:

in light of the recent sub-4 by garrett corcoran (giving dave white/villa park two eventual sub-4s), the 13:36 5k by gidabuday, and tamagno's 4:03, how many orange county athletes have gone on to break 4 minutes? i'm not an oc native, but off the top of my head, there's schilling (garden grove), theriot* (newport harbor, but i'm unilaterally giving his mark an asterisk), whitely (irvine?/uni?), sorenson (villa park), bethke (el toro), cameron (mission viejo?), corcoran (villa park).

am i missing any?

Andy Clifford, Sunny Hills HS 1974?
    99. Andy Clifford (Cal) 3:59.49 (4) Gateshead July 08

Do 1500m equivalent count?

Smile

unfortunately, conversions don't put you on "the list," which probably isn't entirely fair, but it is what it is. hypothetically speaking, though, a 3:42.40 would convert to around 4:00.13 (milesplit)-4:00.19 (1500m x 1.08, as per ustfccca.org)--these are the two conversions i'm most familiar with...
    Last edited by cush; 04-27-2016 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cush View Post
    unfortunately, conversions don't put you on "the list," which probably isn't entirely fair, but it is what it is. hypothetically speaking, though, a 3:42.40 would convert to around 4:00.13 (milesplit)-4:00.19 (1500m x 1.09, as per ustfccca.org)--these are the two conversions i'm most familiar with...
    Cush, shouldn't it be 1.08?

yes yesstiles--that is the number i used, but not the number i typed--this is what happens when english and math skills collide...

Darn Cush. I was hoping to make the club. How about Serna and Butler? Don Chadez's Top OC list can help. http://www.flashwest.com. I think considering the short list I should be considered.

butler's 3:44.1 1500m is far inferior to our favorite anteater. serna ran 4:02.7, probably putting him high on the anteater list, but i think they had a really good miler back in the day. the fact that your collegiate 1500m time/conversion is faster than butler and serna should give you some measure of pride and satisfaction; in light of the 9 sub-4s listed above, your low 4-flat converted may place you in the top-10 from o.c....