Thread: Question regarding alternates at CIF SS Finals

Question regarding alternates at CIF SS Finals

If more than two athletes scratch from a given event for CIF SS Finals, does CIF allow for more than two alternates to fill the vacant spots so that a full field of 9 can run.

Specifically, if I have an athlete who was 12th on time at the prelims, and 3 or 4 athletes scratch from the event for finals, does he have a chance to compete at the finals?

Thanks for any help with this.

We will attempt to fill fields all the way up to checkin/clerking for the next two weeks. If there is a scratch during the week, Bob McGuire will contact coaches to determine if their athlete wishes to fill that opening. We will go as deep as necessary to fill nine spots. If you are not contacted during the week and your athlete is 10 or 11, he/she can come and show up to event/clerk is see if there is a last minute scratch.

My athlete was 12th--Am I correct in assuming that "as deep as necessary" applies to him? The CIF documentation only seems to indicate 10th and 11th placed athletes.

slim chances, but possible.

Great. Thanks.

Disappointed in how many scratches there were last Saturday in those 200's, especially to see how there were NO alternates there to take those places.

With that in mind, our girl was #12, and after reading this thread - I told her to go warm-up and see if there was a chance to get into the 200 meters for Division I. Despite there being TWO no-shows, along with TWO no-shows amongst the alternates (four of the top 11 did not show)....she was denied. The clerk was adamant about not allowing her in. So, we walked back into the stands and pleasantly watched two lanes remain open. Just FYI.

"Deep as necessary" applies to scratches during the week. If the field remains intact (no scratches) prior to Saturday, the instructions on page 20 of the bulletin indicate 10 and 11 are alternates. There are 128 events in the Division Final meet x 2 alternates per event = 256 names to be identified and distributed to the Clerk and Field Event Judges. In the Clerk's defense, he only had the names of 10 and 11 on his list.

That's fair - Hal, thank you for the response. We were simply trying to help to fill as many lanes as we could