Thread: High school kids going pro

High school kids going pro

I am wondering what people think about this! I honestly feel that kids should not be allowed until their final year of high school to become pros, especially when they have started a season and do not finish it!

Whether you like it or not, there is no way to prevent an athlete from making this kind of decision. Are you really serious?

What HS kids are you talking about going pro?

The one that I am aware of this year (Vashti Cunningham) still finished her HS education and graduated.

Why would there be a problem with a person getting a job out of high school? Is there a problem with a person becoming a professional soldier? A professional mechanic? A professional carpenter?
    Keith Chann
    Chemistry teacher
    XC Fan
    Rubidoux High School

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Chann View Post
    What HS kids are you talking about going pro?
    I'm guessing the OP is referring to Tamagno.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I'm guessing the OP is referring to Tamagno.
    I'm thinking the same thing. Student-athletes are individuals who are going to make decisions that are greatly influenced by their parents and their own personal goals. The idea that a student-athlete has an allegiance to their HS or CIF(?) is understandable but ultimately unfounded. Many sports have HS athletes that forgo HS competition, golf and swimming come to mind. One would hope that athletes would have the desire to continue to compete through the end of their HS eligibility but competing interests to come up. Finishing their eligibility is good for our sport and CIF competition. On the other hand, in this case, you have the opportunity to make history. There was a Ca. State Champion in the 1600 last year and there will be another one next year. Matter of fact there will be over 100 1500/1600/1 mile state champions in the US just this year (50 states x 2 genders x Y divisions/state = more than 100). With this in mind what would you choose? A shot at winning a second Ca. 1600 title or a chance to become the 3rd HS runner in the country to break 4 this year and the 5th to do so over the past 2?

Matt, please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that Austin went pro!

He decided to chase the dream of being on of only 10 US HSers in history to break 4 minutes in the mile. As far as I know (and granted I do not have any real knowledge on this matter) Mr. Tamagno is still set to attend college in the fall and compete collegiately. He did not go pro.

However, if he did, why would we think badly of him?

What if he decided to not attend HS for second semester of his senior year so he could enter college early and get a start on cross country for the fall? Many HS football players do just that and actually graduate early to leave their HS peers behind one semester early.
    Keith Chann
    Chemistry teacher
    XC Fan
    Rubidoux High School

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Chann View Post
    Matt, please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that Austin went pro!

He decided to chase the dream of being on of only 10 US HSers in history to break 4 minutes in the mile. As far as I know (and granted I do not have any real knowledge on this matter) Mr. Tamagno is still set to attend college in the fall and compete collegiately. He did not go pro.

However, if he did, why would we think badly of him?

What if he decided to not attend HS for second semester of his senior year so he could enter college early and get a start on cross country for the fall? Many HS football players do just that and actually graduate early to leave their HS peers behind one semester early.
    as far as i know, austin is still committed to competing at oregon, so i'm assuming the OP is simply mis-stating his objection. i think his coach makes an excellent point that there is little logical (though plenty of emotional) reason to be loyal to your high school or the bureaucracy that is c.i.f. when push comes to shove, the individual should absolutely make a decision based on what is best for them. while most of us have this emotional loyalty to our schools, both h.s. and college, it would be silly to let that play into job/career/life decisions, so yes, i would take a job at a rival school/university under the right conditions (for example, the current usc head track coach was a teammate of mine at ucla, and she's doing quite well...), and we see this happen all the time among adults in sports. why would we begrudge a kid the same choice/opportunity?

that said, i'm sure austin will be a proud brea graduate in june, and he's represented his school well the last 3+ years, and he'll represent them well this weekend if he breaks 4, and/or at oregon and beyond...

p.s. if his team were in the running to win a state team title in track, perhaps i'd question his decision. loyalty to organizations is one thing; loyalty to your friends and teammates is another...