Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CIF Prelims split days

CIF Prelims split days

Div 1 & 4 on Friday @ Riverside and 2, 3, & 5 on Saturday. Gonna be interesting to see the time schedule.

We're tentatively looking at mornings. 9:00-ish on Friday and 7:45 on Saturday should get the last races off the course before 12:30 each day.

Quote Originally Posted by RichEde View Post
    We're tentatively looking at mornings. 9:00-ish on Friday and 7:45 on Saturday should get the last races off the course before 12:30 each day.
    was any consideration given to walk-on coaches--of which there are many--who now will have to take a sick-day friday (if they can!) to be available to coach their teams?

Who goes first on Saturday? Are you running one heat of each and rotating?

With less teams running since its two days now... does that mean we are going back to 3-4 heats? 2 heats on that course with the dust is as bad as having all divisions on the same day? Not to mention how it changes the whole prelim qualifying procedure and will force teams to have to run faster to qualify. What's the point of being ranked going into prelims.... 2 heats eliminates the need for rankings... Please tell me we are NOT running two heats again!!

I'm with you, cramming everyone into 2 heats was rough. Also, the amount of teams in each heat increased significantly with only 2 heats, but there was not an increase in the amount of individual qualifiers. Despite way more runners in each heat you still had to finish in the top 12 to advance to Finals as an individual. Certainly that should be adjusted to accommodate a larger field.

Quote Originally Posted by DCEnthusiast View Post
    I'm with you, cramming everyone into 2 heats was rough. Also, the amount of teams in each heat increased significantly with only 2 heats, but there was not an increase in the amount of individual qualifiers. Despite way more runners in each heat you still had to finish in the top 12 to advance to Finals as an individual. Certainly that should be adjusted to accommodate a larger field.
    For at least the last 25 years in my memory , the number of individual qualifiers has been 24 divided by the number of heats. Thus, in a 4-heat prelim, you had to finish in the top 6; in a 3-heat prelim, the top 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony DiMarco View Post
    Who goes first on Saturday? Are you running one heat of each and rotating?

With less teams running since its two days now... does that mean we are going back to 3-4 heats? 2 heats on that course with the dust is as bad as having all divisions on the same day? Not to mention how it changes the whole prelim qualifying procedure and will force teams to have to run faster to qualify. What's the point of being ranked going into prelims.... 2 heats eliminates the need for rankings... Please tell me we are NOT running two heats again!!
    Tony,

The CiF-SS Cross Country Coaches Advisory Committee meets the week after next to discuss various items. Rainer Wulf (CIF-SS Administrator) has indicated that this item may be discussed at the meeting.

Tonight I will be emailing the CIF-SS and the advisory committee the desire to have this item (# of prelims heats and related logistics) formally placed on the agenda, mentioning my desire to make a presentation on this. Am strongly in belief that the across-the-board switch to two heats was/is a bad idea. Will present some data this year to explain my stance. Last year, the item came to my attention for the first time during that meeting, catching me off guard and leaving no time to prepare a counter.

Since last year, a large number of coaches have also expressed their desire to not have an automatic two-heat setup. Just because a start line CAN accommodate more teams doesn't mean that's a positive move forward. When you keep adding more and more teams, you actually increase the chances of changing the identity of some of the team qualifiers.

Rich
    "Cross-country is an individual sport. Succeeding in cross-country is a team sport!"

I totally understand the multiplier by 24, but sometimes when things are different like they were last year and again this year what happened before is irrelevant, and I'm saying this as a person who does not generally like change. On the boys side last year the average number of athletes (rounded) per heat was: D1-200, D2-160, D3-150, D4-130, D5-190. Despite significantly more athletes in the heats in some divisions the number of individual qualifiers remains the same in all of them, at 12. While I'm not going to go to the wall over this issue, it is just my suggestion to consider increasing the number of individual qualifiers from prelims to finals when a certain threshold in number of competing athletes is reached.

Rich,

Can anyone attend this meeting to discuss issues? Time and location? If not, can someone discuss allowing teams the ability to race any eligible team member at prelims and any eligible team member at finals instead of the current set up? When asked why the rule exists, not one person could answer the question. A rule without a reason should not still be on the books and it takes away the strategy aspect of allowing the coaches to set our lineups the best way we sit fit for our teams.

Thank you,

Doug

First, I agree with Coach Soles.

Second, does anyone know what happens to the Riverside Cross Country Course when it rains?