Thread: Spikes at Woordbridge?

Spikes at Woordbridge?

Suspect many people saw the MileSplit Woodbridge course preview hosted by Billy Cvecko. One odd bit of advice in it: when you reach the road in the last 600 yards, be sure to run on either side in the dirt and gravel to avoid running with spikes on the cement. I guessed that Billy was an out of state guy who didn’t know that spikes aren't allowed in CIF-sanctioned cross country meets.

But then I saw a Colorado MileSplit post-race photo of the top Colorado boys teams, and there seemed to be a pair of spikes on the ground in front of them. Just my bad eyesight or did some out of state kids run in spikes?

If they did, just an oversight or have the rules changed?

It actually happens quite frequently with out-of-state teams at the California meets. You can often hear the click-click-click of runners coming down off of switchbacks as they chew up their spikes. Almost all other states run in spikes for cross country so they would think nothing of just putting on their normal racing shoes. I doubt any of the athletes, or coaches for that matter, even know that it is a violation. I have also never seen someone called on it.

I also was never sure if the spike prohibition was a California rule or just a Southern Section rule.
    Last edited by Keith Chann; 09-19-2016 at 02:19 PM.
    Keith Chann
    Chemistry teacher
    XC Fan
    Rubidoux High School

Unless it's stated in the meet rules that spikes cannot be worn, I assume out of state teams might not be aware of the rule.

For the Stanford Invitational, it's stated in the meet information that "No Spikes May Be Worn in High School Races."
    Albert Caruana
    Crystal Springs Uplands School

Having had some discussions with the management of the Silverlakes complex, I know they were assured that no spikes would be worn on their facility.

I thing Albert's conclusion is correct. It was a mistake, not a change in California rules.

This helps explain the phone calls and texts received from a few out-of-state coaches during the meet itself on a clarification of the spikes rule in California (where no spikes are allowed in any high school cross country race within the state).

It's a bit funny that in some courses in California, spikes would be a nice accessory to have while at other (a majority of) courses, spikes might be the last things you want to wear.

Some shoe companies have reached out in recent years regarding the specific rule in our state. One of those shoe companies was working on a California-specific racing shoe that addressed our unique course traction needs without running afoul of the no-spikes rule.
    "Cross-country is an individual sport. Succeeding in cross-country is a team sport!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gonzalez View Post
    This helps explain the phone calls and texts received from a few out-of-state coaches during the meet itself on a clarification of the spikes rule in California (where no spikes are allowed in any high school cross country race within the state).
    Yes, I would guess that some coaches and runners might see a course preview video on MileSplit - and then believe that wearing spikes is permitted.

Rich, excepting post-season races where permitted (i.e., Footlocker Nationals)?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Beal View Post
    Yes, I would guess that some coaches and runners might see a course preview video on MileSplit - and then believe that wearing spikes is permitted.

Rich, excepting post-season races where permitted (i.e., Footlocker Nationals)?
    Greg, yes you are correct. It's high school races in California where one cannot use spikes for XC. The FootLocker meets are technically open/club meets, not HS meets as they are not sanctioned/governed by with CIF or by the national HS federation.
    "Cross-country is an individual sport. Succeeding in cross-country is a team sport!"

None of the out-of-state teams wore spikes at the Woodbrdige invitational. Some of them inquired about wearing spikes and they were made aware of the CA rule. Some asked if they can take the spikes off the shoes and plug up the holes.