Thread: Does your school take a cut from summer donations?

Does your school take a cut from summer donations?

Of the funds we raise over summer from student donations our school takes a 20.1% administration fee before any taxes are withdrawn. It's not clear where that money actually goes.

What's the situation at your school?

Wow! I have never heard of that before, but I don't usually talk fundraising results with other coaches. Can you perhaps just raise money and put it into a booster club account rather than into the school ASB account? 20% seems like a huge cut. I would certainly do some asking about where the money is going, even check with the school board and possibly a union rep or lawyer might know what was allowed as far as the money aspect is involved.

I do know that in colleges, when a professor gets a grant the university takes a cut. The amount varies from school to school but it is used as an "administration Fee" which is usually justified as paying for such things as secretaries, copies, electricity, university support staff, etc. I don't know how the public high school can justify such expenses being paid by student fundraising. Gotta love modern day athletics!
    Keith Chann
    Chemistry teacher
    XC Fan
    Rubidoux High School

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wiley View Post
    Of the funds we raise over summer from student donations our school takes a 20.1% administration fee before any taxes are withdrawn. It's not clear where that money actually goes.

What's the situation at your school?
    Have not heard of schools doing this before. Have you learned anything new on this since your original posting, Joe? Please share, if so.

Thanks!

Rich
    "Cross-country is an individual sport. Succeeding in cross-country is a team sport!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gonzalez View Post
    Have not heard of schools doing this before. Have you learned anything new on this since your original posting, Joe? Please share, if so.

Thanks!

Rich
    No, nothing new. Other coaches at our school brought this up in a recent meeting with our AD, but everybody just shrugged their shoulders. The best guesses were that it helps pay for insurance, possibly? I would assume everyone working within the district offices and classrooms is getting paid and not having to raise their own money to pay themselves, but for whatever reason that's not how it works with coaches despite working directly with the kids. We raise our own money to pay ourselves, then give it to the school to take a cut, then they take out taxes, benefits, etc. and we end up with about 50-60% of what we initially raised.

The frustration is really that the schools don't pay year round even though we are officially working with the kids year-round, with just a 3 week break during the dead-period, of course. As I'm sure is the case with any other public-school coach reading this, our district only pays us when we are in-season. They don't pay us for the time we put in with the kids over summer, or the time we put in with the kids between the end of the XC season and beginning of the Track season.

If the district doesn't pay over summer they must think the summer program isn't necessary, but if I didn't run a summer program our team would not be any good and they'd find another coach willing to work for free over the summer. Maybe, maybe not. However, during the school year between the end of XC and beginning of Track, our sport is an actual class period I have to take role for. I would assume that means the school is getting paid for the kids' presence if we are taking role and they are getting a grade. If we want to get paid for our time and efforts during this part of the offseason we must again raise money to pay ourselves. Of course, if the kids don't want to pay it they don't have to because that's the law. We can only request donations and do fundraisers. Yet again, though, we can not require anyone to partake in fundraisers and it's quite difficult to ask for donations during that time between XC and Track.

I can certainly understand why some people think club sports will eventually take over the high school scene completely, but it seems a long ways off for XC and Track.

For reference, we do not have a booster club, nor am I willing to start one if that means the parents have control of our funds. Our school has a group of parent volunteers that help manage the money for most of our teams under the umbrella of an LLC, I believe, called the Canyon High School Foundation. We pay about $15 a kid per year for them to handle all of our financial transactions and make sure everything is done by the book with a CPA reviewing everything to insure we don't get ourselves in trouble. This setup works well in that I don't have to ask parent's permission to buy anything. Instead, our AD simply signs off on it and as long as we have money in our account and I'm not buying anything ridiculous they always approve it. The only thing that would be nice to change with this is to have a debit card tied to our funds, as I usually end up fronting virtually all of our expenses and then get reimbursed after the fact.

At Dana Hills... if we run a "summer camp" through our school, they take a percentage of our fees. Running a summer camp is an optional opportunity for athletes to get coaching. If we choose to workout with our athletes free of charge and request a donation, that full amount goes to our account. However, we do have the option to pay our selves a stipend (no more than the in season stipend) for the summer. That runs through the district as well. I was told that the amount our district takes for summer camps is to cover:

Insurance
    Facilities
    Paperwork processing
    and some other things I didn't care to pay attention to.

Craig Dunn
    Dana Hills High School